Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vkBasalt CAS Vulkan Layer Adds FXAA Support

Phoronix: vkBasalt CAS Vulkan Layer Adds FXAA Support

The open-source vkBasalt project is the independent effort implementing AMD Radeon Image Sharpening / Contrast Adaptive Sharpening technique as a Vulkan post-processing layer that can be used regardless of the (Vulkan-powered) game. With vkBasalt 0.1 also now comes the ability to apply FXAA...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Aw yeah; can finally get that high-quality smear-vaseline-over-my-eyes AA I've been looking for!

Comment

FXAA stands for blurry as shit lol. It's literally worse than disabling AA haha.

Comment

Aw yeah; can finally get that high-quality smear-vaseline-over-my-eyes AA I've been looking for!
        Originally posted by rabcor View Post
        FXAA stands for blurry as shit lol. It's literally worse than disabling AA haha.
        FXAA is not the best, but it was very simple to implement. And if I get CAS after FXAA working a large amount of the blur is going to be sharpened away.

Comment

That's a very cool project. CAS should be very useful for the upcoming SotTR port to counter blurriness of TAA.

Comment

If you use a recent FXAA implementation at the highest quality setting, it's not too bad if you're playing on 1440p or 4K. I wouldn't recommend it for 1080p and lower though.

Comment

Actually TAA has that qualification, however if you combined TAA and CAS it becomes something wonderful. I don't think FXAA is as good enough with CAS, SMAA on ultra setting sure, speaking of which, why not use SMAA or that better method intel came up with that I can't remember but also has a small performance impact!

Comment

Originally posted by DadSchoorse View Post
                FXAA is not the best, but it was very simple to implement. And if I get CAS after FXAA working a large amount of the blur is going to be sharpened away.
                The way I see it, especially after reading the Git issues, it makes sense to pick an easy "anything other than CAS" to implement and use that to work on shader ordering and using more than one rendering method at a time.

Oh, and my apologies for saying I'd be able to test it on a few things followed by life kicking me in the ass preventing me from even sitting down and playing a game until last night. I'm one of the ones who was posing in the Dark Vkcube issue. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have all my ducks back in a row.

Comment

Working...
                X