Wine 4.19 Implements More VBScript Functionality, ARM64 Support Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 4.19 Implements More VBScript Functionality, ARM64 Support Fixes

Phoronix: Wine 4.19 Implements More VBScript Functionality, ARM64 Support Fixes

Wine 4.19 is out today as the project's first development release for November and as we get quite close to the feature freeze / RC period for Wine 5.0 that will be out in early 2020...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This wine version still have virtual desktop error

Comment

Wine still has no Wayland support.

:-(

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
        Wine still has no Wayland support.

:-(
        Wine will likely never have Wayland support due to intentional design limitations in the protocol.

In the future, X11 can deprecated and downgraded to a Wayland-only client but probably never fully disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

Wine will likely never have Wayland support due to intentional design limitations in the protocol.

In the future, X11 can deprecated and downgraded to a Wayland-only client but probably never fully disappear.
          I really hope you're wrong.

I want Wayland support in Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post

As far as I remember the discussion in the bug report (https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42284) Wayland support could be done quite straight forward for full screen games or on a virtual desktop. The only issue have been window boarders and window management, which is really not important for gaming. So it seems like an artificial limitation to me. I don't care running some windows applications in xwayland windows, but I want to run games directly on wayland.
            Last edited by R41N3R; 02 November 2019, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
              This wine version still have virtual desktop error

The patch works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

As far as I remember the discussion in the bug report (https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42284) Wayland support could be done quite straight forward for full screen games or on a virtual desktop. The only issue have been window boarders and window management, which is really not important for gaming. So it seems like an artificial limitation to me. I don't care running some windows applications in xwayland windows, but I want to run games directly on wayland.
                Would be possible to add Wayland extensions so windowed software be possible with Wine on Wayland? There must be some solution without relying on another layer.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Would be possible to add Wayland extensions so windowed software be possible with Wine on Wayland? There must be some solution without relying on another layer.
                  Of course, that's possible. But things like an application being able to change desktop resolution are prevented by design in Wayland, do you really want such a thing?

My understanding is that virtual desktop wine could work as-is already.
                  I personally wouldn't care if some stuff was broken in Wayland (see the above example). But some tools (one that purposefuly sets your desktop resolution) wouldn't work as intended.

They would probably need some workarounds like drawing all windows as a child of a single top-level one to implement some functionality.

Then, some things like controlling window placement just wouldn't be possible. Not that I care; I use sway.

The rest might require some custom protocols. Probably better to split that into multiple modules. Like using portals to require screen capture, etc.

As far as I know it, more recent APIs might not have as much control over things as the old ones, so it might get easier.

So I think it is definitely doable, and more isolation would actually improve the experience for me. I'd definitely want to see a Wayland backend.

Comment

Working...
                  X