No announcement yet.

Valve's Proton 4.11-8 Begins Bundling VKD3D, Improves Rockstar Launcher Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's Proton 4.11-8 Begins Bundling VKD3D, Improves Rockstar Launcher Support

Phoronix: Valve's Proton 4.11-8 Begins Bundling VKD3D, Improves Rockstar Launcher Support

Valve earlier today pushed out Proton 4.11-8 as the newest update to their Wine-based software powering Steam Play for handling Windows games on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

We NEED BattleEye running on Linux Steam/Proton/Wine badly.
    NO PUBG, Fortnite, etc. Our son is so sad about.

We had Fortnite 'running' with Wine 4.19 and then boom...
    PUBG paid and installed under Steam/Proton-4.11-8 click 'play'...boom.

Valve please do something about.

PS VMware Player/Workstation 14.x.x/15.x.x do not run any longer on Xeon X34xx (Nehalem).

Comment

I hope that means we'll be in a decent state for RDR2.

Comment

Philip Rebohle is a genius. There is not other way to put it. He single-handedly put linux into the gaming arena. It freaks me out how there are thousands, tens, hundreds of thousands of developers, but still a single one can change the entire field.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
          Philip Rebohle is a genius. There is not other way to put it. He single-handedly put linux into the gaming arena. It freaks me out how there are thousands, tens, hundreds of thousands of developers, but still a single one can change the entire field.
          Yes, I second that! He did what others believed is impossible. I'm really thankful for that, Vulkan was the right way to go and soon there is no need for any D3D to OpenGL translation anymore!

I didn't know that VKD3D is in a usable state. But as it is now part of Proton I will give it a try.

Comment

I don't know what happened, but now Vega GPU is identified as Radeon RX5600 by DXVK

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
              I don't know what happened, but now Vega GPU is identified as Radeon RX5600 by DXVK
              Proton uses Wine's DXGI now, which reports device names based on an internal list or something. I guess it might need an update.

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
              but still a single one can change the entire field.
              Proton as a whole most definitely is not a one-man effort.
              Last edited by cute2dgirl; 09 November 2019, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Good job on the GTA V support!
                It's the only game that I care about.

Comment

Yeah, Wine is a really massive project and definitively not a one-man effort. The D3D implementation is certainly the most performance sensitive component for gaming, though.
                  I don't know exactly what gave Valve the idea of Proton but DXVK certainly was a deciding factor.
                  So Philip's work importance is amazing especially considering how fast it got implemented and how early it was able to run games.

WineD3D people are not dummies though, it is much harder to implement D3D11 through OpenGL, especially since performance matters and because they support much more than just D3D10/11. Though I do question their choice of C...

Comment

well vkd3d might be in proton but is not as ready as dxvk/d9vk.
                    just tried shadow of tomb raider (demo) and the game exits on start with dx12

Comment

Working...
                    X