Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 19.10 vs. Clear Linux Performance On The Dell Ice Lake Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 19.10 vs. Clear Linux Performance On The Dell Ice Lake Laptop

Phoronix: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu 19.10 vs. Clear Linux Performance On The Dell Ice Lake Laptop

Last month I posted benchmarks looking at the Windows 10 vs. Linux OpenGL and Vulkan graphics performance for the Ice Lake "Gen11" graphics. But for those wondering about the CPU/system performance between Windows and Linux for the Core i7-1065G7 with the Dell XPS 7390, here are those benchmarks as we compare the latest Windows 10 to Ubuntu 19.10 and Intel's own Clear Linux platform.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Windows 10 won a few Java Renasissance tests and Ubuntu 19.10 also won one, but the rest of the time Clear Linux was the fastest on this new Dell XPS laptop.

Comment

Just in case anybody's confused: the pictured and tested laptop is Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 7390, not Dell XPS 13 7390 as mentioned in the article :v

Comment

In those benchmarks where it makes sense it would be great to post not just absolute numbers, but a percentage distance from each best achiever. Likewise it may be interesting then to have a sum / avg of all those distances per tested config and see the ranking that way.

Comment

The 7z result is interesting. 5% is a more than meaningful difference, and off the top of my head I can't think of any reason why W10 would outperform Linux by such a large amount. (Ubuntu, sure, but not Clear). I mean, it's nothing BUT CPU and RAM, so the only thing I can come up with is an issue in the scheduler or something like that. Anyone have any better ideas?

Comment

What i think is that Windows 10 using alot of ram as hd cache and the data will write to the hd later and it report back to 7z the data have been save, that meanbut the data are still in the ram cache and waiting on be save on the hd

Comment

These benchmarks amaze me sometimes. Few last times it has lost and now it won even against Clear. I wonder if it's not related to power governor and this laptop? Or mitigations perhaps.
              Last edited by Volta; 11 November 2019, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
                The 7z result is interesting. 5% is a more than meaningful difference, and off the top of my head I can't think of any reason why W10 would outperform Linux by such a large amount.
                Perhaps 7z for Windows was compiled with a different compiler (MSVC?) and optimization flags what turn out better performance in this particular case?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLord View Post
                  What i think is that Windows 10 using alot of ram as hd cache and the data will write to the hd later and it report back to 7z the data have been save, that meanbut the data are still in the ram cache and waiting on be save on the hd
                  7z bench is only in ram. It doesn't create files.

Comment

Michael, it would be interesting to see a benchmark of Clear vs Arch with the unofficial Clear Linux kernel (available from AUR or a 3rd party repo) as well. Been using that for some time now and Arch is buttery fast and smooth now.

Comment

Working...
                    X