Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome To Begin Marking Sites That Are Slow / Fast

Phoronix: Google Chrome To Begin Marking Sites That Are Slow / Fast

Chrome has successfully shamed web-sites not supporting HTTPS and now they are looking to call-out websites that do not typically load fast...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is a very bad decision by Google!
    It is a form of discrimination.

Furthermore, websites that have ads take so long to load anyway because even their very own ad servers just are so overloaded...

Yes, most of the load time comes from ads. Phoronix takes less than 1 second to load without the ads, and up to over a minute with the ads.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 11 November 2019, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Hmmm..., like Google maps, Google drive, Gmail, Youtube, Google news, Google image search, etc etc?

Comment

As much as contemporary bloated website annoy me, I don't really like the idea of Google becoming the gatekeepers of the internet.

I'm not sure that telling people that a slow website is slow is really that helpful anyway, I'm sure they noticed.

Comment

Great method to foce hosting sites to pay for a ransom. Google has become creative recently.

Comment

"Be fast, implement Google Amp! Use ads from our whitelist of ad purveyors to ensure fast load time and ad revenue.
            Host your site on the Google CDN for the best performance."

I'm pretty sure none of the above has passed through the heads of Google management.

Comment

On one hand bloated sites are a PITA. OTOH I'm not sure I want a multi billion company to be arbiter of that, especially as it has potential conflicts of interests on that topic.

Comment

Strange because when you use an ad-blocker websites tend to load pretty fast...

Comment

Terrible idea, why do we have to put up with sides that load half way with placeholders and then load the real content later in a slower fashion? Because that boosts page load time algorythms. So this will just encourage bad behavior and discriminate sites on speed rather then usefulness.

Comment

Google will say that my website is slow ? How dare they say ? I dont want anybody to know that my website is very slow. It's my little secret.

Comment

Working...
                    X