Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GStreamer Conference 2019 Videos Now Available Online

Phoronix: GStreamer Conference 2019 Videos Now Available Online

Taking place at the end of October during the Linux Foundation events in Lyon, France was the GStreamer Conference to align with the annual developer festivities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is GStreamer really game outside Gnome world? Why not use libmpv or FFMpeg directly instead?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Is GStreamer really game outside Gnome world? Why not use libmpv or FFMpeg directly instead?
      Yeah by analogy everybody installs mpv, vlc or something else instead of their amateurish Totem video player that ships by default.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Yeah by analogy everybody installs mpv, vlc or something else instead of their amateurish Totem video player that ships by default.
        Well, is that gstreamer's fault or totem's fault?

Even KDE can use gstreamer as sound backend.

We use gstreamer at work to read video streams from cameras. Works fine. I guess that's the beauty of gstreamer: It works quietly in the background in many places. Only if things don't work, people have a closer look what backend is being used. So most of the time, you don't notice that it's even there.

Comment

It is. I don't know libmpv (only mpv), so I don't comment here.

A few points, which are pro gstreamer:
          • Compared to ffmpeg, I personally find gstreamer API nicer due to it's clean design.
          • gstreamer itself is easily extendable., i.e. register new plugins without recompiling the library.
          • Being based on gobject, you have good bindings for every language out there based on gobject-introspection.
          As mentioned above, we use gstreamer at work in a C++ code base to read a video stream from webcams. I wasn't involved in the decision making process on what library to use, but I know the result and it's quite good. Things got even extended: We now have a 3D scene (rendered with OpenGL), which is being turned into a "virtual webcam": basically an rtsp server, which is fed by the OpenGL scene. You may ask "why on earth?" -- The reason is: clients have existing infrastructure for IP cameras (lots of screens, where the operators sit) and for them it's easier to use a new camera source than install a computer with a web browser as a viewer.

Comment

I'm not expert but the main answer probably is: ffmpeg/vlc/mpv/mplayer are not "plugin friendly" and "legal friendly". I mean - you need recompile everything to create "legit" version of ffmpeg/vlc/etc.

By "legit" I mean stupid patent/licences law. In theory ffmpeg/vlc/mpv with everything enabled are "not legit" for commercial use without paying fee for some patent trolls.... It is the reason why ffmpeg/vlc are not available in "legit" distribution repos. You could install it - but you need use "third party" repos...

Gstreamer is legit because of plugin system - you could have "truncated" version in "legit" repo and you could install addons with patented solutions from "third party" repos. All gstreamer application will "suddenly" receive support from these third party addons - you do not need to recompile - for example Totem - to use it.

In another words - it is similar situation like it is in Windows - you install "codec pack" and all Windows native media applications will receive support of these codecs. Another matter is - in Windows word - it is very bad idea, because in many situation "codec packs" are distributed with plenty of unwanted adware/spyware addons... The best solution in Windows word is... install "all in one" open-source solution like SMPlayer/VLC...

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
              We now have a 3D scene (rendered with OpenGL), which is being turned into a "virtual webcam": basically an rtsp server, which is fed by the OpenGL scene. You may ask "why on earth?" -- The reason is: clients have existing infrastructure for IP cameras (lots of screens, where the operators sit) and for them it's easier to use a new camera source than install a computer with a web browser as a viewer.
              If you look at the "Implementing a Trickmode Player with ONVIF, RTSP and GStreamer" talk it's clear that some company is paying him to implement ONVIF support for the gst-rtsp-server. Since ONVIF is a standard for the surveillance industry you can safely assume that some surveillance camera manufacturer is using GStreamer. He then in the end also thanks "Axis" in the end of the video which is one of the biggest surveillance camera makers so there's likely at least 2 surveillance camera brands which use the gstreamer rtsp-server.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
                He then in the end also thanks "Axis" in the end of the video which is one of the biggest surveillance camera makers so there's likely at least 2 surveillance camera brands which use the gstreamer rtsp-server.
                Pssst. You know that can't be true, cuz all the cool l33d kiz install vlc and don't use totem

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Pssst. You know that can't be true, cuz all the cool l33d kiz install vlc and don't use totem
                  MPV is better.

Comment

Working...
                  X