Experimental Work Allows DXVK To Be Natively Used For Direct3D 11 On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental Work Allows DXVK To Be Natively Used For Direct3D 11 On Linux

Phoronix: Experimental Work Allows DXVK To Be Natively Used For Direct3D 11 On Linux

The DXVK Direct3D 10/11 over Vulkan implementation to date has been built as a Windows library run under Wine along with the game/software being rendered for converting the calls to Vulkan for execution by the host drivers. There is now experimental work for building DXVK as a native Linux library for converting D3D10/D3D11 calls to Vulkan outside of Wine...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, what is the difference between this and https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/pull/926 ?

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
      So, what is the difference between this and https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/pull/926 ?
      That PR seems to still need Wine to use DXVK unless I am mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

That PR seems to still need Wine to use DXVK unless I am mistaken.
        Yeh. That PR compiles DXVK as a native .so so wine itself can load it natively rather than through its DLL loader. This work allows a native ELF Linux binary to call DirectX as a graphics API, which in turn directly goes through Vulkan rather than Wine Vulkan.

Comment

So.. DX11 is a native graphics api on Linux now (potentially?) lol this is a strange world we live in. But this is neat, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by salsadoom View Post
            So.. DX11 is a native graphics api on Linux now (potentially?) lol this is a strange world we live in. But this is neat, I suppose.
            It's not native, it's a wrapper that translates it. This is the future of DirectX, a gaming API that's translated to something sane and standardized. Windows is becoming obsolete, and I wish MS ditched DirectX and decided to just go along with whatever Khronos publishes.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
              It's not native, it's a wrapper that translates it. This is the future of DirectX, a gaming API that's translated to something sane and standardized. Windows is becoming obsolete, and I wish MS ditched DirectX and decided to just go along with whatever Khronos publishes.
              I mean they only do that because they/Microsoft wants to compete against the Vulkan API which we all know can't. Though the only good thing that comes out of the "competition" is well... competition, while the rest of us find new toys/tools/ways to use Vulkan. I couldn't care less if Microsoft wants to fight a losing battle but I do enjoy the entertainment it brings.

Comment

I remember I commented some time ago about doing this so game makers using directx could easily port them to linux, and it seems the dream became truth . This should actually give better performance than going thru the wine layer, it is like MoltenVK to Metal, so DirectX to Vulkan. Took a long time but finally some one was able to do it thanks to the existing work on DXVK.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post

Well this would be suicidal. DirectX is for a lot of users the only thing which keeps them on windows. I have heard a lot of people saying: yeah I would give a shot but gaming on linux is still worse, they dont have native directx.

Comment

For most games that are native with OpenGL, DXVK seems to run smoother & better overall. It's a bit annoying to see but not unexpected to see so many engines being loosely optimized for OpenGL vs DX11. UE4 is a good example, but also many unity3d games are just not performing very well under OpenGL vs DX11.

Comment

Working...
                    X