7 Days To Die Is Another Game Seeing A Big Bump From Mesa OpenGL Threading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 Days To Die Is Another Game Seeing A Big Bump From Mesa OpenGL Threading

Phoronix: 7 Days To Die Is Another Game Seeing A Big Bump From Mesa OpenGL Threading

For those that are fans of the 7 Days to Die open-world shooter / horror game, the performance on Linux is now as much as 30% higher as a result of Mesa GL threading...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

@Michael
    "...60~76% faster thans..." --- 'thanks"?

BTW
    I've running with 'mesa_glthread=true' all the time since it's 'out'.

Comment

Typo thans

Comment

Mesa_glthread? Can applications read that instead of relying on their own blacklists?

Comment

Michael Would it maybe make sense to benchmark browsers (especially Firefox with WebRender) with `mesa_glthread=true`? Not sure if it makes any difference, except for maybe some WebGL-heavy workloads...

Comment

Awesome, I don't run this game often on my laptop but when I do it runs somewhat acceptable on my 2500u. Hopefully this, and that somewhat older input lag on radeon patch, push it firmly into the acceptable performance territory.

Comment

Just learned that mesa_glthread is a thing. I wish it was more widely known, as it seems to do wonders to performance.

Comment

One of the games I've played the most at close to 3,000 hours. Saying that the game was released in 2013 is a bit misleading. It WAS released in that year, but still receives major updates even today.

That being said, I've often found 7 Days to Die to be MUCH faster in DXVK than OpenGL or even DirectX 11 on Windows 10. Their Vulkan support is also pretty fast, but due to the Unity version they are currently on (2019.1), apparently it's buggy (and I've hit those bugs, it's basically unplayable right now). Boy, I sure wish NVIDIA supported mesa right about now. THAT would be an interesting shootout.

Comment

I've been playing it with DXVK most of the time and it runs as fast as Windows DX11 for me.
                  A shame the anti-cheap mechanism doesn't work in wine for online servers which require it, forcing me back to the native build.
                  I'm usually CPU-bound anyway.

Comment

Working...
                  X