Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DXVK 1.4.5 Brings Async Presentation For All GPUs, Better Multi-Threading Efficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXVK 1.4.5 Brings Async Presentation For All GPUs, Better Multi-Threading Efficiency

Phoronix: DXVK 1.4.5 Brings Async Presentation For All GPUs, Better Multi-Threading Efficiency

It's been three weeks already since the last DXVK update but that was succeeded this evening by DXVK 1.4.5 as another notable update to this project mapping Direct3D 10/11 onto Vulkan for speeding up the Wine/Proton-based Windows gaming experience on Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wait why are there fixes for Dirt Rally and Metro 2033? Those games runs natively in Linux (or are only Metro Redux and Last Light available for Linux?).

Regardless, seems like every week DXVK gets noteworthy improvements. It's kind of weird to me, considering how great and functional it already is. Anybody know of a "todo list", besides this:
    Vulkan-based implementation of D3D9, D3D10 and D3D11 for Linux / Wine - Issues · doitsujin/dxvk

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Wait why are there fixes for Dirt Rally and Metro 2033? Those games runs natively in Linux (or are only Metro Redux and Last Light available for Linux?).
      Games that already run natively make for great and convenient comparisons for judging the performance and accuracy of DXVK. Fixes for these games could fix bugs in other games, allowing DXVK to showcase better and more accurate visuals for all games.

Comment

Originally posted by randomsalad View Post
        Games that already run natively make for great and convenient comparisons for judging the performance and accuracy of DXVK. Fixes for these games could fix bugs in other games, allowing DXVK to showcase better and more accurate visuals for all games.
        I agree with all of that, though, I personally think it'd be a better priority to focus on fixing games with no native alternative. Knowing these forums though, someone is bound to vehemently disagree with me on this, or tell me to do the work.

Comment

I agree with all of that, though, I personally think it'd be a better priority to focus on fixing games with no native alternative. Knowing these forums though, someone is bound to vehemently disagree with me on this, or tell me to do the work.
          I'm sure making games with no Linux version run is the focus. But randomsalad is correct. For instance, Shadow of the Tomb Raider is an interesting case because not only is there 'a' Linux port, but it's Feral's translation to Vulkan. The superficial result of investigating it might be SOTR working better in Wine/Proton + DXVK, but that obviously isn't the goal.

Comment

Wait why are there fixes for Dirt Rally and Metro 2033?
            I seriously don't get questions like this. Why leave a bug in when you can fix it, even íf the only known games affected have a native version? What are the benefits of leaving them - and potentially other games running into the same bug - broken?

Also, the Metro fix is for the old Metro 2033, not the Redux version.

Comment

I think they focus on whatever bugs are reported to them by users. That means they'd tend to favor popular games more than the lesser-known ones, but if that's what their users are trying to run then it makes sense to focus on those first and then seek out other unknown and unreported bugs later.

If you're aware of other games that are broken, I'm sure they would appreciate a bug report.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                I think they focus on whatever bugs are reported to them by users. That means they'd tend to favor popular games more than the lesser-known ones, but if that's what their users are trying to run then it makes sense to focus on those first and then seek out other unknown and unreported bugs later.

If you're aware of other games that are broken, I'm sure they would appreciate a bug report.
                I already provided a link showing other games (including ones that are more popular) that are broken.

Originally posted by cute2dgirl View Post
                I seriously don't get questions like this. Why leave a bug in when you can fix it, even íf the only known games affected have a native version? What are the benefits of leaving them - and potentially other games running into the same bug - broken?
                I seriously don't understand people's level of reading comprehension and critical thinking sometimes. I already pointed out there are other games that also need attention. I didn't say the bug isn't worth fixing, but rather, there are games that aren't Linux native that don't run [correctly]. So, the benefit is to fix a game and maximize the amount of games that run on Linux. Why is that so hard to understand?
                Last edited by schmidtbag; 21 November 2019, 10:09 AM.

Comment

It's a pain in the ass to use Dirt Rally mods on Linux since the folder layouts aren't the same -- is one reason that I can think of.

Comment

I seriously don't understand people's level of reading comprehension and critical thinking sometimes.
                    Stop insulting other people's intelligence when you're the one without a fucking clue.

You literally asked why a bug was fixed.

I already pointed out there are other games that also need attention. I didn't say the bug isn't worth fixing, but rather, there are games that aren't Linux native that don't run [correctly]. So, the benefit is to fix a game and maximize the amount of games that run on Linux. Why is that so hard to understand?
                    So, which specific games do you have in mind? Which of those have (useful) DXVK bug reports and are actually being held back by DXVK itself rather than wine issues?

Comment

Working...
                    X