Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glimpse 0.1 Released As The Rebranded Fork Of The GIMP

Phoronix: Glimpse 0.1 Released As The Rebranded Fork Of The GIMP

The inaugural release of Glimpse is now available, the fork born out of calls for renaming The GIMP project to something not considered offensive...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Only due to the name?

Are you kidding me?

Easter egg removal? Those guys probably don't know what having fun is.
    Are they trying hard to look professional?

Guess what? Even Microsoft had easter eggs in their products, and nobody complained!
    Last edited by tildearrow; 22 November 2019, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Personally, I don't really care about how rude is a name of an application and I'm disabled myself. But, there are more sensitive people out there and in all fairness and openness, they should be allowed to fork and rename a project just because of its name.

Comment

To be honest, when I found out about GIMP, I didn't even think it was an offensive term.
        I thought it was an acronym?...

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
          Personally, I don't really care about how rude is a name of an application and I'm disabled myself. But, there are more sensitive people out there and in all fairness and openness, they should be allowed to fork and rename a project just because of its name.
          Of course they are, but I don't think they would be able to keep up in a future...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Of course they are, but I don't think they would be able to keep up in a future...
            I would fork Glimpse and call it Fuckshop or something like that, for fsck sake...

Comment

Tilde missed it? Wow.. he usually catches em before anyone else...

3rd paragraph, Gimpse... There. Pretty harmless but it made me feel special for some reason.

Comment

This is a good idea. I really do think that GIMP has been held back by its name. There is no way that it could be installed in the corporate environments I have worked in (although I often just downloaded it anyway).

Comment

Whilst I'd argue GIMP is a dumb name and a rename isn't a bad idea, every word is going to be offensive somewhere and trying to erase words seems the wrong way to go.

In the UK, 'gimp' is not offensive at all. There's more words in the UK that are offensive in the US and vice versa.

Comment

Oh please. The whole world is easily offended. It's the mode du jour.
                    If you're not offended you're not doing it right.

And it's not like Glimpse won't offend someone in some language, somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X