Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X / 3960X Linux Benchmarks

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X / 3960X Linux Benchmarks

After the embargo on the Intel Core i9 10980XE expired a few hours ago, now we are allowed to share the performance numbers on the new AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X and 3970X processors. These new Zen 2 HEDT CPUs pack a real performance punch, but do come in as more expensive than the i9-10980XE and there is one boot-stopping Linux bug to mention with a workaround... But besides that lone Linux support caveat, the Threadripper 3960X and Threadripper 3970X absolutely dominate in performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Woot, we have a new king?

Comment

Nice, now all I need is a uATX TRX40 board.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
        Nice, now all I need is a uATX TRX40 board.
        That would be one funny looking board. Pretty sure socket plus VRM would eat the entire layout. I'm not sure such a thing could be produced. Not to mention the power requirements - I don't see any use case where a mega power supply would be paired with a tiny board.

Edit: Oops you said uatx, but I read it as mitx. Never mind!

Comment

@Michael: did the 3970x run the 4 mem sticks (64GB) at full 3600 speed? Can you test 8 16gb sticks please?

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post
            @Michael: did the 3970x run the 4 mem sticks (64GB) at full 3600 speed? Can you test 8 16gb sticks please?
            I don't have 8 sticks of the same type. In fact, only 4 x 16GB sticks total when it comes to non-ECC/Registered memory.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Wow! Even the thermals are not that bad considering the extra performance often reached. AMD has certainly come out of its slump, sales of these processors should give them the cash to fund Linux development.

the only sad thing here is how to justify the machine. By the time a decent box is built up you have a huge investment of cash.

Comment

Wow, those kernel compile times.. you could schedule a kernel compile at each boot-up, to always have the latest git code )

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I don't have 8 sticks of the same type. In fact, only 4 x 16GB sticks total when it comes to non-ECC/Registered memory.
                  Ok, so, do the 4 sticks run at their advertised speeds? the 2700x I have can only run 4x16 at 2666...

Comment

Honestly i would have preferred for Intel to not release the 10 series at all, at least they would have the excuse of being at previous gen and win some time and dignity until they can actually compete but this launch just had the reverse effect for them and honestly the beat is way worse on Windows this time around and even at Intel strongholds like temps and power usage(this new 3000 series power efficient AF)

Comment

Working...
                    X