Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blender 2.81 Benchmarks On 19 NVIDIA Graphics Cards - RTX OptiX Rendering Performance Is Incredible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender 2.81 Benchmarks On 19 NVIDIA Graphics Cards - RTX OptiX Rendering Performance Is Incredible

Phoronix: Blender 2.81 Benchmarks On 19 NVIDIA Graphics Cards - RTX OptiX Rendering Performance Is Incredible

Last week marked the release of Blender 2.81 with one of the shiny new features being the OptiX back-end for the Cycles engine to provide hardware-accelerated ray-tracing with NVIDIA RTX graphics processors. Long story short, OptiX is much faster for Blender than using NVIDIA's CUDA back-end -- which already was much faster than the OpenCL support within Blender. For your viewing pleasure today are benchmarks of 19 different graphics cards looking at the CUDA performance from Maxwell to Pascal to Turing and then for the RTX graphics cards also the OptiX performance.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Everything that's from NVIDIA must be bad. Open source folks here will wait until AMD releases something similar (even if doesn't work nearly as well) and pronounce it the second coming of Christ.

Comment

Nah, it just annoying that you need to stick to more or less stable distro with nVidia, preferably more
      It kills the mood that on some kernel updates DKMS just break, and you can't get into desktop without energetic dancing with tambourine.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        Everything that's from NVIDIA must be bad. Open source folks here will wait until AMD releases something similar (even if doesn't work nearly as well) and pronounce it the second coming of Christ.
        The Nvidia hardware is indeed just fine... the driver is a piece of shit I won't ever deal with again though.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Not everyone likes to use proprietary crap when there's great Open Source driver available on AMD side. Nvidia pushes tech forward in some areas, but it's usually too early to treat them seriously. Nvidia hair works, ray tracing and say goodbye to performance. Furthermore, ray tracing doesn't look perfect with current games, because they weren't made with ray tracing in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Not everyone likes to use proprietary crap when there's great Open Source driver available on AMD side. Nvidia pushes tech forward in some areas, but it's usually too early to treat them seriously. Nvidia hair works, ray tracing and say goodbye to performance. Furthermore, ray tracing doesn't look perfect with current games, because they weren't made with ray tracing in mind.
            OptiX is about using Turing RT cores though...

Comment

I am wondering just one simple thing: Wouldn't it have made more sense to write a Vulkan-based renderer using Vulkan's ray tracing extension? I mean, the performance of optix is nice and all but I find the strategy in which every vendor has to provide their own backend pretty redundant. Things like Radeon ProRender use open standards at least.

Comment

Are there any differences in the produced output?

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

That's funny. Let me guess: You haven't tried a more recent AMD hardware, have you? I have and what can I say - my RX 5700 excites me every day. I've written up my whole frustration with it here:

After several generations of NVidia cards I decided to switch back to - Forum post on GamingOnLinux.com

TL;DR: AMD drivers with more recent hardware (i.e. less than a year old) are utter crap. I don't care whether ray tracing doesn't look perfect with current games. I want drivers which don't crash my system while I'm browsing. Or instant-freeze my system because of a kernel upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                    Are there any differences in the produced output?
                    That.

Or alternatively, in case these code paths are not guaranteed to provide the exact same results, how is equal quality rendering ensured?

Comment

Working...
                    X