Canonical Formulates The 32-Bit Support Strategy For Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Formulates The 32-Bit Support Strategy For Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Phoronix: Canonical Formulates The 32-Bit Support Strategy For Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Canonical's Ubuntu engineers in cooperation with community members have figured out their 32-bit support adjustments for the Ubuntu 20.04 LTS release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    some of the additions and removals planned ofr ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Comment

Steam has a Flatpak package that presumably bundles everything it needs in terms of 32bit libs. Isn't that a simpler approach rather than keeping a dead architecture in the distribution repos?

Comment

In my case wine 32bit build dependencies works normally and steam too (using 20.04 lastest 2 weeks)

Another apps works are cuda, nvenc, nvidia vulkan drivers and others

Last edited by pinguinpc; 28 November 2019, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          Steam has a Flatpak package that presumably bundles everything it needs in terms of 32bit libs. Isn't that a simpler approach rather than keeping a dead architecture in the distribution repos?
          Flatpak supports the Freedesktop Runtimes, which are mantaining 32bit and multilib for the forseeable future, however I don't ever see Canonical shipping with Flatpak.

Comment

Steam not having a 64-bit Linux client is ridiculous. If you use something like CUDA on Ubuntu, it provides (and depends on) the required NV driver in the CUDA repo, but not the 32 bit libs to support 32-bit apps like Steam. And then you can try to install the 32-bit libs on your own, but oh no, they depend on the Ubuntu NV driver, which in turn conflicts with the CUDA NV driver, so it removes the CUDA NV driver, but since CUDA itself depends on the CUDA NV driver, this action removes CUDA as well.

What a bunch of fools. How hard can it be to have a 64-bit client with a warning that it'll only run 64-bit games? Or if they aren't cocky enough to do this, how about compile and bundle the 32-bit packages on their own? Why on Earth is it Ubuntu's responsibility to cover Valve's lazy and/or incompetent arse? All this cr@p should've gone into a self-contained steam snap long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
              Steam not having a 64-bit Linux client is ridiculous. If you use something like CUDA on Ubuntu, it provides (and depends on) the required NV driver in the CUDA repo, but not the 32 bit libs to support 32-bit apps like Steam. And then you can try to install the 32-bit libs on your own, but oh no, they depend on the Ubuntu NV driver, which in turn conflicts with the CUDA NV driver, so it removes the CUDA NV driver, but since CUDA itself depends on the CUDA NV driver, this action removes CUDA as well.

What a bunch of fools. How hard can it be to have a 64-bit client with a warning that it'll only run 64-bit games? Or if they aren't cocky enough to do this, how about compile and bundle the 32-bit packages on their own? Why on Earth is it Ubuntu's responsibility to cover Valve's lazy and/or incompetent arse? All this cr@p should've gone into a self-contained steam snap long ago.
              Steam on Linux is mostly 64-bit. It only requires 32-bit dependencies so that users have to install them while installing Steam instead of finding out that game X won't run and wondering why.

Regardless, Valve are moving towards a 64-bit only world, with a recent beta having added a Flatpak style containerization option to run the 32-bit games in... or even all of them, for sandboxing purposes. https://steamcommunity.com/app/22141...5549018366706/

Comment

Originally posted by Syfer View Post
                Steam on Linux is mostly 64-bit. It only requires 32-bit dependencies so that users have to install them while installing Steam instead of finding out that game X won't run and wondering why.
                Well, I guess as soon as Steam Linux Runtime leave beta this shouldn't be necessary?

In the latest Steam Beta Client for Linux, Valve have added a new way to run Linux games through a special container.

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
                  In my case wine 32bit build dependencies works normally and steam too (using 20.04 lastest 2 weeks)

Another apps works are cuda, nvenc, nvidia vulkan drivers and others

Just to manage your expectations, 20.04 as of today is still 95% the same as 19.10.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Flatpak supports the Freedesktop Runtimes, which are mantaining 32bit and multilib for the forseeable future, however I don't ever see Canonical shipping with Flatpak.
                    Ubuntu supports Flatpak perfectly well. People always seem to believe that flatpak and snap are competing like deb/rpm. They're not, both work happily across many distros and you can install both flatpaks and snaps at the same time with no problem whatsoever. On my Ubuntu 19.10 I have a number of snaps installed, I also have Steam and other things from flathub and it all Just Works.
                    Last edited by jacob; 28 November 2019, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X