Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi 4 Thermal Performance Is Improving With New Firmware

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi 4 Thermal Performance Is Improving With New Firmware

When the Raspberry Pi 4 launched earlier this year it was quickly realized active cooling was almost required if wanting to run the quad-core Cortex-A72 SoC at full performance without thermal throttling. Fortunately, the latest Raspberry Pi 4 firmware has improved the thermal/power behavior to lessen the need for extra cooling although it's still recommended for achieving peak performance potential out of this popular low-cost ARM SBC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Have a RPi4 with FLIRC and it's just fine... and I don't want it to run slower!?

Comment

Anyone know why RPI 4 on raspbian still use armv7 kernel and not AARCH64?
      Also why not series 5.X?

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
        Have a RPi4 with FLIRC and it's just fine... and I don't want it to run slower!?
        Um, what do you mean? The benchmarks show the new firmware improves performance and thermal efficiency.

Comment

Meanwhile another (relatively minor, imo) problem shows up with Pi4s. Apparently 2560x1440 resolution output clobbers the 2.4 GHz wifi connection. 5 GHz operation is unaffected, and any other (lower) resolution doesn't cause the problem. The dot clock seems insufficiently shielded from the wifi radio so it's causing RFI at 2.4 GHz.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
            Also why not series 5.X?
            Last I heard, they were saying that there was no convincing need for it (as if 64>32 is not convincing enough). Probably they just want to keep making one release that works across all of their devices.

Ubuntu's release uses the 64-bit kernel, and Manjaro also has a pretty good 64-bit release.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
              Last I heard, they were saying that there was no convincing need for it (as if 64>32 is not convincing enough).
              It really isn't convincing enough. For one reason, you're not running into ram limits on RPis yet. They may have other reasons dealing with performance and feature support. Just because Canonical wants to jump off a cliff is no reason for everyone else to do so. I'm speculating here. I only have a Pi B+ from years back, so I have nothing to compare software distributions on to see if there are any compelling reasons beyond supporting the whole line with a single release.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
                Weren't they using ARMv7 kernel and ARMv6 userspace on ARMv8 devices?

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
                  Next time, read the article before posting nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Heater View Post

Next time, read the article before posting nonsense.
                    They must have stopped reading after they got to this line: "When updating the Raspberry Pi software stack users should see the lower performance and better thermal performance."

Comment

Working...
                    X