Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 12.1 Runs Refreshingly Well With AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X - Benchmarks Against Windows + Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 12.1 Runs Refreshingly Well With AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X - Benchmarks Against Windows + Linux

Phoronix: FreeBSD 12.1 Runs Refreshingly Well With AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X - Benchmarks Against Windows + Linux

For those of you interested in AMD's new Ryzen Threadripper 3960X/3970X processors with TRX40 motherboards for running FreeBSD, the experience in our initial testing has been surprisingly pleasant. In fact, it works out-of-the-box which one could argue is better than the current Linux support that needs the MCE workaround for booting. Here are some benchmarks of FreeBSD 12.1 on the Threadripper 3970X compared to Linux and Windows for this new HEDT platform.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"but... but.. 40 year old crusty Unix is so slow..? isn't it?"

Looking good FreeBSD

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Looking good FreeBSD
      Certainly does look good. Then again performance was never the issue with FreeBSD. Getting the legal issues resolved solved its biggest problems.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Certainly does look good. Then again performance was never the issue with FreeBSD. Getting the legal issues resolved solved its biggest problems.
        Was solved in the 90's. I think thats why they used the name "Free" BSD. Free from AT&T (idk if it's true, good story at least.. and it's catchier than 386BSD)
        Last edited by k1e0x; 02 December 2019, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Like driver support?

Comment

It has nearly nothing common with 40 years old Unix.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Like driver support?
              Ok, I got to ask.. what really crappy piece of hardware are you trying to use?

Comment

Ok, I got to ask.. what really crappy piece of hardware are you trying to use?
                It's graphics stack is years behind Linux. Furthermore, I can forget about running FreeBSD on the laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

It's graphics stack is years behind Linux. Furthermore, I can forget about running FreeBSD on the laptop.
                  Nvidia, Intel and AMD cards work just fine. You know FreeBSD isn't a game rig right? Unless you like Wine you're pretty much SOL. And no, it suffers the same problem as Linux on Laptops.. laptops suck.

The graphics stack is only 11 months older than Linux's. (4.16 in release, 4.20 in head/ports)

Sorry to crush your dreams of triple A titles for FreeBSD but ya.. Even if you had a 2080 TI in there.. what would you use it for? Seems like a waste of money when a 1050 would do the same job of running the desktop.
                  Last edited by k1e0x; 02 December 2019, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Okay, now stop it Michael!

After living with my old FX-6300 system for far too many years I finally bought a new Ryzen R7 3700X/x570 system a few months ago, and now you're making me wish I'd gotten Threadripper instead!

Not that I need that kind of power, but my goodness, these Threadrippers are stunning.

Comment

Working...
                    X