Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 71 Available With New Kiosk Mode, New Certificate Viewer

Phoronix: Firefox 71 Available With New Kiosk Mode, New Certificate Viewer

Today marks the last Mozilla Firefox feature update of 2019 with the release of Firefox 71.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice improvements, as usual, especially when using it with Wayland+Webrender. That combination is really getting into shape and I hope they switch on both by default within the next couple of releases. One major feature missing here is partial invalidation for power saving. Apart from that I don't see much left (well, a few bugs here and there that I personally rarely experience)

Comment

The release notes are down for me, so it's nice to have the Phoronix article as a reference

Originally posted by treba View Post
      Apart from that I don't see much left (well, a few bugs here and there that I personally rarely experience)
      Same. I've been enjoying what feels like a complete experience for a while now with Firefox. Somewhere in the 6x.0 series, Mozilla finished adding everything I wanted.

All I want from Mozilla now is just to fix bugs, improve performance, security and privacy and incrementally improve their addon API so third party devs can provide customizations to us. It's better that most user-specific features come in the form of addons.

I also want them to remove their centralized, addon signing system. Users should be free to create and install whatever they want without permission. I know you can create an alternative fx build without the signing system, but still: upstream matters.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
        I also want them to remove their centralized, addon signing system. Users should be free to create and install whatever they want without permission. I know you can create an alternative fx build without the signing system, but still: upstream matters.
        I really would want them to keep that. In the past, especially on windows platforms, all forms of badware made it into the browser being masked as browser extensions. This has been reduced to mostly zero, which really is a good thing. It's also easy to sign your own extensions for your own use, we do some of those for our company internal use, maintenance burden is much less than for chrome platform.

Comment

Any ETA for enabling WebRender by default?

It's a shame that picture-in picture support only supported for Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

I really would want them to keep that. In the past, especially on windows platforms, all forms of badware made it into the browser being masked as browser extensions. This has been reduced to mostly zero, which really is a good thing. It's also easy to sign your own extensions for your own use, we do some of those for our company internal use, maintenance burden is much less than for chrome platform.
            I'd be happy if there was an about:config option, command line switch or magic-file (you place in the install directory) that advanced users could use to disable it. Google and Microsoft browsers are what less technical users often use. Firefox is the popular choice for more advanced users who know what they want and thus want more freedom to achieve it.

I think if Mozilla just try to chase Chrome, they will always be an inferior Chrome. If however they embrace what made Firefox popular in the first place (configurability, freedom, being lightweight etc), then they will be a strong leader in their own market.

I'm not complaining though... just dreaming! Firefox is already extremely close to being perfect for me.

Comment

Also a new about:config page which I really hate. It's effing unusable.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

I'd be happy if there was an about:config option, command line switch or magic-file (you place in the install directory) that advanced users could use to disable it. Google and Microsoft browsers are what less technical users often use. Firefox is the popular choice for more advanced users who know what they want and thus want more freedom to achieve it.

I think if Mozilla just try to chase Chrome, they will always be an inferior Chrome. If however they embrace what made Firefox popular in the first place (configurability, freedom, being lightweight etc), then they will be a strong leader in their own market.

I'm not complaining though... just dreaming! Firefox is already extremely close to being perfect for me.
                You can use nightly, developer edition or unbranded firefox releases and put xpinstall.signatures.required to false.

See : https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing#FAQ (unbranded build links on the same page)

Comment

Still no video hardware acceleration? still no Firefox on my machine.

I like Mozilla, but it's just been too long that this feature has been pending

Comment

You get partial hardware acceleration via switching on: layers.acceleration.force-enabled

Comment

Working...
                    X