NVIDIA Looks To Have Some Sort Of Open-Source Driver Announcement For 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Looks To Have Some Sort Of Open-Source Driver Announcement For 2020

Phoronix: NVIDIA Looks To Have Some Sort Of Open-Source Driver Announcement For 2020

Start looking forward to March when NVIDIA looks to have some sort of open-source driver initiative to announce -- likely contributing more to Nouveau and we're crossing our fingers they will have sorted out the signed firmware situation to unblock those developers from delivering re-clocking support to yield better driver performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think a great compromise would be something similar to AMD. The kernel driver is open source and works with mesa, but Nvidia can keep their large userland blob available for people who want better performance.

Comment

"... and making direct code contributions to NVIDIA."
      should be
      "... and making direct code contributions to Nouveau."

Comment

The fact they will address the signed firmware thing is huge. To my understanding, that alone would bring nouveau from a mediocre driver to a very good one.

Comment

No Cuda, no way.

Comment

I don't care about them anymore. AMD is glorious.
            Desktop use, gaming both nicely supported.

Comment

Only thing they could do to get me back as a customer is indeed having a stable open driver that can game.
              No glitchy shenanigans, just something like AMD's driver that respects standards and can be fixed, with the blob availible with the nvidia propriatary tricks for those that want them.

Comment

did hell freeze over? somehow I really doubt it. I'd bet real money whatever the announcement is won't have any profound impact and the status quo will be much the same

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
                  I don't care about them anymore. AMD is glorious.
                  Desktop use, gaming both nicely supported.
                  The more competition the better. Maybe that is an incentive for AMD to keep investing into their software stack. The current ROCm situation is still less than desireable from an end user point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
                    I think a great compromise would be something similar to AMD. The kernel driver is open source and works with mesa, but Nvidia can keep their large userland blob available for people who want better performance.
                    Not an expert, but I think the kernel module already is open sourced, it's just not mainlined.

Comment

Working...
                    X