Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd-homed Looks Like It Will Merged Soon For systemd 245

Phoronix: Systemd-homed Looks Like It Will Merged Soon For systemd 245

Announced back in September at the All Systems Go event in Berlin was systemd-homed as a new effort to improve home directory handling. Systemd-homed wants to make it easier to migrate home directories, ensure all user data is self-contained, unify user-password and encryption handling, and provide other modern takes on home/user directory functionality. That code is expected to soon land in systemd...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am glad, that everything comes out of one hand soon

The desktop, The Init-System, The Audio-and-Video-handler, The new Flat-Packaging-System

So why do we care for other distributions ? Switch today, soner or later you have to

This is a troll post to stir up the show

Comment

👍.....

Comment

Originally posted by ydnaC
        This is a troll post to stir up the show
        ** Do Not Feed **

Let's keep this thread as clean as possible.

Ughhhh, why did you guys kept trolling
        Last edited by tildearrow; 08 December 2019, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Can't wait to fork it out of systemd!

Comment

I'm quite looking forward to this being usable in Fedora.

This makes per-user encryption super easy, which I prefer because it means other people can use my computer without them needing to be told the master decryption key and it doesn't have the performance impact of ecryptfs.

I am worried about the potential performance impact of the loopback mount though, and the possibility that if one user fills up the disk, these home directories don't shrink so that user would forever be filling up the disk even after deleting the file.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
              [...] the potential performance impact of the loopback mount though [...]
              The people using "the default desktop under Linux" don't know what an "performance impact of the loopback" is, therefore it's not subject of their interest.

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
              [...] the possibility that if one user fills up the disk, these home directories don't shrink so that user would forever be filling up the disk [...]
              Harddrives have no price these days. Simply buy another gazillion of terrabytes and plug it into the machine. Even in emerging countries harddrives are cheaper than food. So why bother with sideshows

Comment

Hopefully this will take over oddjob-mkhomedir and other hacky stuff soon.

Comment

I'm irritated that system-D doesn't answer my emails and file my taxes for me yet. And it hasn't done my holiday shopping for me yet. Very annoying.

Get on the stick Poettering. WE'RE WAITING.

Comment

The systemd team should strip down Xorg and create a competitor to Wayland. *ducks*

Comment

Working...
                    X