Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 19.10.1 Released For Raspberry Pi

Phoronix: Ubuntu 19.10.1 Released For Raspberry Pi

Ubuntu 19.10.1 has been released as an unscheduled re-spin of Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine for Raspberry Pi 2 / 3 / 4 ARM single-board computers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are there any PTS results comparing a Raspberry Pi 4 with some x86 computers? I've never really understood how the openbenchmarking.org UI works. Can I compare a set of results with other recent tests on different hardware? I can search for an x86 CPU, but I won't necessarily get the same set of benchmarks.

PS: I didn't notice until a couple of days ago, but the forum topics seem to get created only some 5-10 minutes after you post an article. And since I'm complaining about the site, can I please get the subscription type fixed? I've seen "Lifetime subscriber" on other users, but mine ends in 2038, which seems a bit dark :-P. Or maybe it's just a year 2038 thing in the forum software.
    Last edited by GrayShade; 10 December 2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Are these aarch64 or armhf images? If it's aarch64 then it's probably a performance improvement over Raspbian that is still 32-bit and cannot go beyond the limited instruction set of Raspberry Pi 1.

Comment

Interesting! I didn't know Ubuntu folks were trying for 64-bit Pi support but if it works OOB, this is a huge win for Ubuntu. I'd been seeing Arch folks talk about 64-bit and have been following the 64-bit Raspbian kernel discussions (https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...?f=29&t=250730) for many months. Do I smell some Pi3/4 32-bit v. 64-bit benchmarks coming? Raspbian is also due for a refresh any day now so I wonder if they've tweaked even more perf and wattage reduction out of the Pi 4. Raspbian should be switching to kernel 5.4 next year so that should help even more. Woot.

Comment

Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post
          Are these aarch64 or armhf images? If it's aarch64 then it's probably a performance improvement over Raspbian that is still 32-bit and cannot go beyond the limited instruction set of Raspberry Pi 1.
          Good question..
          RaspberryPi1 is not aarch32... its armv6 , it has Floating Point unit, but its not aarch32( its only armel - arm32 )

So, my guess is that the images are armhf( aarch32 )..

Comment

Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post
            From the linked article:
            Updated 32-bit and 64-bit images of Ubuntu for the Raspberry Pi family of devices have just been released. Innovators around the world can now download 32-bit images for the Raspberry Pi 2, 3 and 4, as well as 64-bit images for the Raspberry Pi 3 and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post

Good question..
              RaspberryPi1 is not aarch32... its armv6 , it has Floating Point unit, but its not aarch32( its only armel - arm32 )

So, my guess is that the images are armhf( aarch32 )..
              He said 32-bit, not aarch32. ARMv6 is 32-bit. Both claims were true.

Comment

I would like to see Phoronix performance test Raspbian vs. Ubuntu for RPi 2, 3B+ and 4B, all overclocked.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  He said 32-bit, not aarch32. ARMv6 is 32-bit. Both claims were true.
                  You right,
                  I was putting the problem in perspective, and saying that his reply was a very good question..
                  @Shnatsel was right.. and I was also right

seems that they will let 'armel' fall( I was also right on predictions.. ).
                  They will have aarch32 and aarch64 images, so they will cut the backbone of entire SBCs crazy world built around( raspberryPi 1 ), and also its bottleneck right now...

I have one, for early adopters( only with 256 MB Ram ).
                  But mine runs a self optimised Linux kernel with hard-float support

I believe armv6 is the last iteration from ARM to have a real VFP( Vector Floating Point ) unit( aarch32 doesn't have, I believe, VFP vector processing.. instructions are done with Neon 1.0 SIMD.. but still they maintained the name "vfp" which is wrong.. lool )..

Comment

Working...
                  X