Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Subsystem For Linux Performance At The End Of 2019

Phoronix: Windows Subsystem For Linux Performance At The End Of 2019

Recently I wrapped up some benchmarks looking at the performance of Ubuntu on Microsoft's Windows Subsystem for Linux comparing WSL on Windows 10 Build 18362 (May 2019 Update) and then both WSL and WSL2 performance using the Windows 10 Build 19008 Insider's Preview (what will come as Windows 10 20H1 update) for looking at where the WSL performance is heading. Additionally, looking at the bare metal performance of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS for which the WSL instances were based plus Ubuntu 19.10. As well, for the Windows-compatible tests also looking at how the Windows performance itself was outside of WSL/WSL2.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Excellent write up and set of test results. Answered some questions I had about WSL/WSL2.

Comment

What are the common use cases with WSL2? Is it to run servers, do scripting or real Linux development?

Comment

Is there a write up about the system configuration or is it a vanilla setup?

If so how does a vanilla setup compare to a configured system (e.g. vanilla windows vs. windows with windows defender disabled)

Also did you consider using https://blendermarket.com/products/e-cycles for blender benchmarks, it seems to be better optimized.

Comment

WSL is really windows subsystem for gnu right? (like there is no sshfs,Btrfs,etc.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
            WSL is really windows subsystem for gnu right? (like there is no sshfs,Btrfs,etc.
            Not really. It's implementing linux kernel APIs, not anything from GNU. It alllows running GNU userspace on top of WSL, but that's not WSL itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Spam View Post
              What are the common use cases with WSL2? Is it to run servers, do scripting or real Linux development?
              I think they are mostly targeting web developers who like using *nix tooling.
              Last edited by smitty3268; 11 December 2019, 10:53 PM.

Comment

It would be much more interesting if we see comparisons between WSL and other VMs like VMWare and Virtualbox

Comment

I'm still running 1709 at work. Looks like I'm missing out on quite a few performance improvements, let alone WSL2.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I think they are mostly targeting web developers who like using *nix tooling.
                    Yup.
                    Microsoft experienced something new for them, a kind of reversal : lots of (ruby/python/node/etc.) based tools used by devs weren't designed for windows, and well, won't be ported to windows 'cause no one really cares if it works with windows (e.g. "not my fault if your system can't manage long file paths").

Funny IMO.
                    Last edited by lateo; 12 December 2019, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X