Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 5.0-RC1 Saw A Number Of Patches Upstreamed From Staging

Phoronix: Wine 5.0-RC1 Saw A Number Of Patches Upstreamed From Staging

With yesterday's release of Wine 5.0-RC1 as the last feature release prior to the code freeze for this forthcoming annual Wine stable release, a number of the patches merged came via way of Wine-Staging...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wine-Staging now to only be 825 patches on top of upstream Wine.
    Only 825? That still seems to much to me. In my humble opinion, a low number for Wine would be 100-200 patches in Wine-Staging.

I think CodeWeavers should focus more in upstreaming more Wine-Staging patches rather that adding more features, at least until that number of patches gets dramatically reduced.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Only 825? That still seems to much to me. In my humble opinion, a low number for Wine would be 100-200 patches in Wine-Staging.
      I have a far better question.

Why is there only 315 bugs with a patch reported in wine project bugzilla and there are 825 patches in staging.

Please note if you restrict that to only bugs marked staged the number drops to 124. So roughly 1/6-1/7 patches in staging are correctly reported upstream. Of course this does not help things 5/6-6/7 of the patches are not correctly reported upstream so developers mainline who look at bugzilla is not going to know about them to review and consider them.

Codeweavers cannot really fix this. This would require the maintainers of staging to put a hard policy in place that any added patch to staging would have to be correctly reported on wine bugzilla. Inside 1 or 2 years it would be mostly sorted out.

More 1000 patches in staging either go merged into mainline or superseded by patches added to mainline this year. This is why in 1 or 2 years with a hard policy this would be sorted out. Staging branch has huge turnover. So compared to the number of patched removed from staging over the last 12 months 825 is not many. Lets cross our fingers for end of next year being under 700 in staging.

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      I think CodeWeavers should focus more in upstreaming more Wine-Staging patches rather that adding more features, at least until that number of patches gets dramatically reduced.
      Not really.

There is 2801 known defects right here. Lot of ways there are more important than the staging patches. Should I make the arguement that no more staging patches enter until the scan patches are fixed???

Please note some of those new feature adds also see staging patched hacks around issues superseded as no longer required.

With how complex wine is to make and with the wine project current resources there is really no good answer. There is a reasonable answer as Codeweavers keeps on doing what they are doing and staging maintainers get more strict on submit requirements. CodeWeavers only has so many dollars to spend on staff for hours and there are a lot more problems that need to be dealt with in wine project than the issues that are in the staging branch. Staging 825 is really only tip of iceberg. Serous-ally tip of iceberg. There are current 7784 open bugs in wine this is a low for the 12 months. Roughly staging is 1/10 of the issues at best. At worse if the number of items marked staging in the Bugzilla can be believed. 124 this results in 1/62 of wine issues.

Lot of talk about staging when in reality it may not be as large as you are thinking. Being a limited section of the problem explains the limited resources being given to it.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
        I have a far better question.
        https://bugs.winehq.org/buglist.cgi?...s&product=Wine

Why is there only 315 bugs with a patch reported in wine project bugzilla and there are 825 patches in staging.
        Because that rule was added only after Alistair and Zebediah took over the maintainership of wine-staging. The older staging patches don't have associated bug because wine-staging used to have a different bug tracker, which is now gone.

Stop looking at numbers without understanding the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          Because that rule was added only after Alistair and Zebediah took over the maintainership of wine-staging. The older staging patches don't have associated bug because wine-staging used to have a different bug tracker, which is now gone.
          This is kind of incorrect. The staged flag in wine bugzilla appears 2 years before Alistair and Zebediah took over wine-staging. So a percentage of the old bugs were tracked in wine bugzilla interesting point most of those are gone as in fixed and now mainline.

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          Stop looking at numbers without understanding the picture.
          No you need to look at the numbers to see where it going wrong. Numbers is what the problem is.

Bugs fixed in 5.0-rc1 (total 37):
          Notice 37 bug numbers listed there in the changelog. This is how codeweavers and other commercial developers working on wine make a report to their boss that they have done something.

We want codeweaver developers to work on mainlining patches from staging. But we don't have that issue when staging patches are recorded in the wine bugzilla and associated in the appdb to applications so that the developers can say to boss see we fixed X bug that should help Y number of applications. The issue is the not record ones.

Yes codeweaver developers do at times work on and fix staged problems but only the ones listed in the wine Bugzilla as they need to justify their hours of work to their bossses.

Basically there is a secondary mess around wine staging. As you stated the old bugzilla that was run third party went away. The patches have not been updated to be recorded and assocated in the mainline winehq bugzilla and appdb. No point complaining that codeweaver developers are not mainlining enough staging patches when the problem is they are not being given the information they need to-do that.

I did suggest due to that bug tracker went away that wine staging should delete tree and start fresh. Yes this would be that the guess 700 patches untracked would have had to be entered to in the wine bugzilla to be added back in. If that had happened we would not been in this mess now. It would have been a lot of short term pain.

Weasel this is a case like it or not you need to look at the numbers to see the problem.

Comment

Working...
          X