Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.5-rc2 Kernel Released

Phoronix: Linux 5.5-rc2 Kernel Released

On schedule with one week since the closure of the Linux 5.5 kernel merge window and subsequent release candidate, Linux 5.5-rc2 is out this evening for testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Darn, resume from suspend is still broken for R9-390 GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
      I think I remember having this issue back in my 390 days, I believe I found a fix for it and posted it over at the whirlpool net forums but can't remember what it was.

I'll try to dig it up... can't find it, too old but I did find this bug report and a possible patch you could try applying yourself.

Last edited by theriddick; 16 December 2019, 12:53 AM.

Comment

Wait what? Which kernel driver are you using it with - radeon or AMDGPU ? I'm using an R9 390 with AMDGPU on Linux 5.4.x and it works fine for me.

Edit: Ugh, just checked the bug report linked by theriddick and saw your comment. Damn, looks like I need to prevent updating to 5.5 until that's fixed. Or, just switch over to using the nice Intel iGPU that just works.
        Last edited by Guest; 16 December 2019, 02:23 AM.

Comment

My AMD Ryzen 5 2500U in the HP Envy x360 is really unstable since Linux 5.4, GPU crashes and resets all the time in Plasma Wayland and in Firefox with webdender. Going back to Linux-lts in Arch Linux is not a good workaround, as then standby is creating the crashes :-(

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
            My AMD Ryzen 5 2500U in the HP Envy x360 is really unstable since Linux 5.4, GPU crashes and resets all the time in Plasma Wayland and in Firefox with webdender. Going back to Linux-lts in Arch Linux is not a good workaround, as then standby is creating the crashes :-(
            Same here with a Matebook D 14 and the same processor, Linux 5.4 and up are completely unstable and GPU crash/reset every few minutes. Previous kernel do work but still freeze after a few hours to a few days at best.

AMD Ryzen APU support are really bad under linux...

Comment

Originally posted by regis View Post

Same here with a Matebook D 14 and the same processor, Linux 5.4 and up are completely unstable and GPU crash/reset every few minutes. Previous kernel do work but still freeze after a few hours to a few days at best.

AMD Ryzen APU support are really bad under linux...
              Maybe this is more of a laptop thing? I don't have any issues with my 2200G or 220GE.
              I'm running 5.4.2 on both of them.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post

I think I remember having this issue back in my 390 days, I believe I found a fix for it and posted it over at the whirlpool net forums but can't remember what it was.

I'll try to dig it up... can't find it, too old but I did find this bug report and a possible patch you could try applying yourself.

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=204241
                Thank you for the suggestion. I actually posted this problem there last night and they said it sounded like a different issue and I had to file another ticket. Everything works fine with kernel 5.4.x, it's just 5.5 that immediately reintroduced the problem. I had it when 4.2 first came out, but within a few iterations it had been fixed. And everything from then until 5.5 had worked great.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion. I actually posted this problem there last night and they said it sounded like a different issue and I had to file another ticket. Everything works fine with kernel 5.4.x, it's just 5.5 that immediately reintroduced the problem. I had it when 4.2 first came out, but within a few iterations it had been fixed. And everything from then until 5.5 had worked great.
                  I've read your post and Alex's reply...
                  ...soo, it's realy the time for a 'git bisect', even that it was fixed after 4.20+ and now broken, again.
                  Start with
                  git bisect start
                  git bisect bad v5.5-rc1
                  git bisect good v5.4

You can start with only amdgpu changes, too.

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post

I've read your post and Alex's reply...
                    ...soo, it's realy the time for a 'git bisect', even that it was fixed after 4.20+ and now broken, again.
                    Start with
                    git bisect start
                    git bisect bad v5.5-rc1
                    git bisect good v5.4

You can start with only amdgpu changes, too.
                    Yes, I actually spent 3 days trying to bisect the original 4.20+ problem but was never able to do so. I remember learning that resume problems were particularly difficult to bisect, and that someone was working on some kind of new system specifically for suspend/resume problems, but thank goodness someone else was able to fix it.

The problem was that bisect would always end with something that had nothing to do with the problem, and I was actually ridiculed quite harshly for not being able to do it correctly.

I don't know why but many Linux devs seem to take a lot of joy in being down right mean, especially in the Arch community, and I really don't want to go there again.

Comment

Working...
                    X