Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CooliPi 4B Is The Best Raspberry Pi 4 Heatsink We Have Tested Yet

Phoronix: CooliPi 4B Is The Best Raspberry Pi 4 Heatsink We Have Tested Yet

While the Raspberry Pi folks have been making thermal/power improvements to the Raspberry Pi 4 firmware, running this budget-friendly ARM single board computer with a heatsink or some form of cooling is certainly recommended if you want to sure it operates at the optimal clock frequencies. A Phoronix reader devised the CooliPi 4B and it's wound up being one of the best Raspberry Pi 4 cooler we have tested to date.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Got nothing on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BQAMTRY5SI

Comment

CooliPi 4B Heatsink - Natural Price Kč790.00;
      790 Czech Koruna = 34.59 United States Dollar.

Comment

Looks nice. I ended up using one of these (cheaper on Amazon) and have been very impressed with it. For me, an SBC cooler has to be passive. If I assemble a large array of them (as I once did with a bunch of ODROID C2's) I'll add a larger fan to the whole thing to create some airflow. But the tiny fans are just... troublesome.

Comment

The cheapest possible way to order this and have it shipped to the US is ~$68.30, more than the raspberry pi 4 4GB + charger for a small block of aluminum with screws. If you go the full case route you could even throw in a nice uSD card.

Comment

Could do with less mass if it had higher surface area.

Comment

Does anyone have experience with the manufacturing process for cases like the FLIRC?(and I guess this one)

The FLIRC looks like it's milled with CNC or something, but that can't be it due to how low cost they seem to be manufacturing them for, even at high quantities?

Comment

It's nice and all, but how cool do you really need to keep the pi? Unless your playing around with overclocking it's overkill. Cost is too high and you lose access to the gpio pins. If I had 20 pis...maybe one of them would get such a cooler.

I have one 4G pi4 that I use for compiling code and it get's hot without a cooler, but I haven't noticed it throttling when building large projects.

Unless I'm mistaken it doesn't look like they make the 3D model available for the case. That bites when you have a 3D printer just waiting for something new to print. I'd be much more likely to buy the heatsink if the 3D model was available for free.
                Last edited by cbxbiker61; 17 December 2019, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
                  I like the sizzling sound. Better to use vegetable oil and then you can just throw some chips in there... mmm.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
                    Does anyone have experience with the manufacturing process for cases like the FLIRC?(and I guess this one)

The FLIRC looks like it's milled with CNC or something, but that can't be it due to how low cost they seem to be manufacturing them for, even at high quantities?
                    This case is 3D printed (plastic part) and the heatsink is milled with CNC.

The FLIRC is very obviously sintered metal (pressing together metal powder and heating it up a little so it solders together), which yelds a product that is not anywhere as strong as a CNC milled part but it's many orders of magnitude cheaper if mass-produced.
                    You can see below that the shape of the case is clearly very similar to plastic press-molded cases of any consumer device (and the plastic part on the side in the very image below), it also has similar text and rotary indicators "printed" on the mold that left obvious marks in the sintered metal part.
                    Also the surface is rough and uneven even if rounded.
                    Obvious sintering product 100%.

Comment

Working...
                    X