Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine-Staging 5.0-RC2 Brings Patch To Fix Seven Year Old Bug Hitting Once Popular Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Staging 5.0-RC2 Brings Patch To Fix Seven Year Old Bug Hitting Once Popular Game

Phoronix: Wine-Staging 5.0-RC2 Brings Patch To Fix Seven Year Old Bug Hitting Once Popular Game

Rebased off yesterday's Wine 5.0-RC2 source tree is now Wine Staging 5.0-RC2 as this testing/experimental variation of Wine with some 830+ patches on top...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish Microsoft would contribute compatibility fixes to Wine for Windows 3.11, Windows 95, 98, ME, NT 3.51 and NT4. Maybe even Windows 2000 and XP. All these platforms are EOL, but compatibility fixes in Wine would still be good for reasons of computer history, archival, legacy applications, etc.
    Wine could even be available on Windows 10 to run legacy Windows applications on Wine.

I also wish that Microsoft would release the source code to Windows 3.11, Windows 95, 98, ME, even if just under the Ms-PL license or even the Ms-RSL license.
    Last edited by uid313; 21 December 2019, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I wish Microsoft would contribute compatibility fixes to Wine for Windows 3.11, Windows 95, 98, ME, NT 3.51 and NT4. Maybe even Windows 2000 and XP. All these platforms are EOL, but compatibility fixes in Wine would still be good for reasons of computer history, archival, legacy applications, etc.
      Wine could even be available on Windows 10 to run legacy Windows applications on Wine.

I also wish that Microsoft would release the source code to Windows 3.11, Windows 95, 98, ME, even if just under the Ms-PL license or even the Ms-RSL license.
      That would be cool but I'm not sure we will see the source code any time soon. With Win10 still compatible with ancient apps, I guess it's carrying a lot of backward compatible code from those releases. Publishing the source code from a past era with a questionable security reputation could tell black hats where to find the swiss cheese in current releases.

Comment

There are already existing solution to run old apps from MS DOS/Windows 3.x/9x/2000/XP OS... use dosbox, dosbox-x, pcem, qemu....

Comment

Originally posted by legluondunet View Post

There are already existing solution to run old apps from MS DOS/Windows 3.x/9x/2000/XP OS... use dosbox, dosbox-x, pcem, qemu....
          And FreeDOS.

Comment

That's rather unlikely to happen. The reason Microsoft contributes to Linux related stuff is because they want Linux running inside Windows, not the other way around. It's another textbook case of "embrace, extend, extinguish", I don't see why people fall for it again. Microsoft hasn't changed at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft currently forbids their employees from contributing to Wine or ReactOS in any way or form.
            Last edited by Remdul; 21 December 2019, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Remdul View Post

That's rather unlikely to happen. The reason Microsoft contributes to Linux related stuff is because they want Linux running inside Windows, not the other way around. It's another textbook case of "embrace, extend, extinguish", I don't see why people fall for it again. Microsoft hasn't changed at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft currently forbids their employees from contributing to Wine or ReactOS in any way or form.
              This and this a 100 times.

The real success of the devil is not in being evil, but in convincing people it doesn't exist.

Also I think I can answer this:

I don't see why people fall for it again.
              It is because of a mix of reasons, first a large proportion of humans are less rational than they think and more like reactive, they rationalise things after the facts, for others it is plain and simple naivety, they don't know better, a smaller sub-set are trolls and another small sub-set are shills, MS actively pays people to write positive comments about them in sites like this.

They actively do contractually.

Comment

That was pro culture act. Some of the greatest music in gaming history is in RA series, most notably Soviet March.

Glorious gaming! All praise The Computer!

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
                  That was pro culture act. Some of the greatest music in gaming history is in RA series, most notably Soviet March.
                  Glorious gaming! All praise The Computer!
                  Unfortunately for you, Michael's description of the bug fixed leave a lot to be desired and can be quite misleading. What was fixed was a SecuROM bug affecting a very narrow range of SecuROM versions that prevented, among others, the RA2 Installer from running. The game itself is and was unaffected by this, and could already be played if installed from other sources, and there are still bugs present that makes playing the game a bit of a nuisance, like the game rendering at <1 FPS on first startup or the cursor constantly flickering when ingame. This bugfix does nothing to address that.
                  Last edited by randomsalad; 23 December 2019, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by randomsalad View Post

Unfortunately for you, Michael's description of the bug fixed leave a lot to be desired and can be quite misleading. What was fixed was a SecuROM bug affecting a very narrow range of SecuROM versions that prevented, among others, the RA2 Installer from running. The game itself is and was unaffected by this, and could already be played if installed from other sources, and there are still bugs present that makes playing the game a bit of a nuisance, like the game rendering at <1 FPS on first startup or the cursor constantly flickering when ingame. This bugfix does nothing to address that.
                    Oh well, hope they do remakes for the music's sake.

Comment

Working...
                    X