SuperTuxKart 1.1 Prepping Improved Internet Multiplayer, More Polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperTuxKart 1.1 Prepping Improved Internet Multiplayer, More Polishing

Phoronix: SuperTuxKart 1.1 Prepping Improved Internet Multiplayer, More Polishing

For those looking for some family-friendly Linux gaming this holiday season, a release candidate of the Mario Kart inspired SuperTuxKart 1.1 is now available for your enjoyment... err testing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it have better graphics?
    Does it have less tedious boring sound?

Is it available as a Snap or as a Flatpak?

Comment

Who needs Snap or Flatpack? Download the RC, start run_game.sh and judge by yourself. I didn't notice any changes in sound and graphics but may be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
        Who needs Snap or Flatpack? Download the RC, start run_game.sh and judge by yourself. I didn't notice any changes in sound and graphics but may be wrong.
        Running binaries compiled for a different distro doesn't always work.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

Is it available as a Snap or as a Flatpak?
          - Compared to which version? The visual quality is always improving. Although there weren't any large track revamps or replacements since 1.0, a lot of GUI bugs handling high resolution displays were fixed.

- The sound has never bothered me. if you find the sounds annoying, you can always adjust their volume or mute SFX entirely. Also the SFX are just OGGs, you could even replace them if you wanted.

- The official STK PPA has 1.1-rc1, and 1.0 is available via both Snap and Flatpak.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Cartoon games like this aren't about the greatest graphics in the world, though judging by your comments about STK over the years, you will never understand that. As for the sounds, if you don't like them, don't listen to them. I'm not a big gamer, but I always listen to music when playing racing games.

Comment

QwertyChouskie Do you happen to have a download link for the Random Roads WIP track recently posted to the forums, plz? Freegamedev.net is down since at least yesterday and I wanted to try out RR over the holidays.

Comment

Originally posted by eltomito View Post
                QwertyChouskie Do you happen to have a download link for the Random Roads WIP track recently posted to the forums, plz? Freegamedev.net is down since at least yesterday and I wanted to try out RR over the holidays.
                It seems that the forum is back up. Happy racing!

Comment

This is the only game other than Overlord (those gremlins!) that will get the wee ones off MineCraft.
                  Hi

Comment

IMHO SuperTuxKart simply sucks. Even TuxKart was better. SRB2Kart is IMHO much better. The most fun arcade racers I've played are: Wacky Wheels, Lotus 3 Ultimate Challange, Ignition, DehKarz. OutRun, RoadRash and SNES TopGear.
                    STK is simply soulless for me: uninteresting models, non-distinctive graphics, ugly music and sound effect, micro stuttering and lack of fun fuctor (I even prefer russian game&watches. Spent many weeks playing Motocross Madness on GameBoy). I even enjoyes TuxRacer in the past(but not shitty spinoffs like SuperTuxRacer or PlanetPenguinRacer)

Except strategic/boardgames, Ccmmercial games are the only way IMHO. Recently I bought very cheply Logitech G29 and ws thinking that I will run some FLOSS racer to test it and the only downside would be poor graphics (had only intel 3000 gfx, so I hadn't care). TORCs? SpeedDreams? Those popular from years so-called 'sim racers' doesn't support steering wheels properly. I spend many hours and wasn't able to properly confogure it. Downloaded BeamNG and City Car Driving and all I needed was to select G29 as wheel profile... You get what've you paid!
                    The only said thing is that if you want decent linux simracers like F1 2015/17, Dirt Rallly/4, Grid series, you are forced to use Steam(what I did, because I found very cheap steam keys, but I would much more prefer DRM-Free gog.com or something like that, but CodeMasters/EA don't like DRM-free shops unlikely :-/

Comment

Working...
                    X