phpMyAdmin 5.0 Released To Drop Old PHP/HHVM Support, Modernized UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phpMyAdmin 5.0 Released To Drop Old PHP/HHVM Support, Modernized UI

Phoronix: phpMyAdmin 5.0 Released To Drop Old PHP/HHVM Support, Modernized UI

For server administrators with extra downtime around the holidays, phpMyAdmin 5.0.0 is now available for this widely-used web interface for administering MySQL/MariaDB databases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yay, Let's wait for 5.0.5 (at least)

Comment

The UI is still pretty awful, but it's not as if there's anything any better for online database editors.

Comment

Ohh the many hours with this. I think most PHP dev's back in the day started with PHPMyAdmin, it was such a easy tool to setup and get going.
        Then we grow up, and start to use real tools to manage SQL.

Comment

Originally posted by MrEcho View Post
          Ohh the many hours with this. I think most PHP dev's back in the day started with PHPMyAdmin, it was such a easy tool to setup and get going.
          Then we grow up, and start to use real tools to manage SQL.
          What moronic talk. I bet most php devs use it. I know I do.

Comment

But question is: what does uid313 think of this? Normally he's the first one to post in PHP threads...

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
              But question is: what does uid313 think of this? Normally he's the first one to post in PHP threads...
              I think this is great. I used the online demo but wasn't able to find how to change the theme. I really wanted to see the new theme.

I also think it would be great if this could be packaged somehow to make it easy to use. I don't know if its possible with Snap or Flatpak together with Electron to bundle a PHP application as a desktop application. imagine if you could just install it from the software store and open it as an app from the desktop.

It would also be cool if it were hosted somewhere, and you could go to a website and just point it a MySQL database server and connect to it, without having to deploy phpMyAdmin anywhere yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

It would also be cool if it were hosted somewhere, and you could go to a website and just point it a MySQL database server and connect to it, without having to deploy phpMyAdmin anywhere yourself.
                I think MySQL supports remote connections. So you could do this e.g. with websockets .

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

I think this is great. I used the online demo but wasn't able to find how to change the theme. I really wanted to see the new theme.

I also think it would be great if this could be packaged somehow to make it easy to use. I don't know if its possible with Snap or Flatpak together with Electron to bundle a PHP application as a desktop application. imagine if you could just install it from the software store and open it as an app from the desktop.

You can use Nativefier to pack any website into a native application. It'd be worth investigating modern desktop browsers's PWA integration features too.

On a personal side, I moved to DBeaver for my database management needs. You can connect to production servers remotely using a VPN or SSH tunnel for better security, so that phpMyAdmin is never installed on your production servers.
                  Last edited by Calinou; 29 December 2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

I think MySQL supports remote connections. So you could do this e.g. with websockets .
                    Yes, MySQL supports remote connections, but I don't think it does so over WebSockets.
                    Also note WebSockets is not a plain TCP socket, it is a protocol over TCP, so you cannot use WebSockets to interact with a non-WebSocket service that is served over standard TCP.

You could tell PHP to connect to the remote MySQL database server though, but then the web browser would have to send the credentials to phpMyAdmin.

Comment

Working...
                    X