Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PineBook Benchmarks For The ARM Linux Laptop Starting At $99 USD

Phoronix: PineBook Benchmarks For The ARM Linux Laptop Starting At $99 USD

For those interested in benchmarks of the $99+ PineBook ARM Linux laptop, more results continue to be uploaded on OpenBenchmarking.org...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ARM Cortex-A53 is from late 2012. Performance wise, this laptop is worse than a old phone.
    This is not suitable for running any kind of GUI.
    I think this is only good for someone who wants a cheap dumb terminal that they can run a terminal on to SSH into a remote computer with.

But if this had an ARM Cortex-A77, 4-8 GB RAM, 64-128 GB, storage USB 3, Bluetooth 5 and with Wi-Fi 6 this would be amazing. Of course it would cost more then.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      ARM Cortex-A53 is from late 2012. Performance wise, this laptop is worse than a old phone.
      I think this is only good for someone who wants a cheap dumb terminal that they can run a terminal on to SSH into a remote computer with.

But if this had an ARM Cortex-A77, 4-8 GB RAM, 64-128 GB, storage USB 3, Bluetooth 5 and with Wi-Fi 6 this would be amazing. Of course it would cost more then.
      a xfce distro like xubuntu ou manjaro it will work for light browser and office, nothing more, like old atom single core cpu, the big problem here is the lake of gpu..
      Last edited by andre30correia; 01 January 2020, 09:35 AM.

Comment

The announcement date does not mean they are already in consumer devices. It looks to me like it does take 1-2 Years until the first devices are on the market and good Support in Linux will take time too.
        I don't think you can compare it like that. Different A53 cores can have different Performance. And you could use the Pinebook pro for $199 that has a RK3399(Dual Cortex-A72 + Quad Cortex-A53, 64-bit CPU) GPU support should be there too with the Panfrost driver.

Last edited by Toggleton; 01 January 2020, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I've just been shopping for a cheap/budget laptop lately, not $99 cheap. Unfortunately even at the $200-$300 bracket there's often certain sacrifices made due to the inflexibility of swappable components like you'd have with desktops, so I ended up with a $399 system. This Acer Aspire 5 2019Q4 model seems like one of the better options out there for my needs/interests at least.

It's a recent refresh on the Intel 8th gen hardware(8145U) adding 10th gen CometLake 10110U and 802.11ax(Wifi 6) + Bluetooth 5, has a USB-C 3 gen 1 port and 128GB NVMe SSD storage, the 4GB of RAM is soldered but has another DIMM slot that can take up to 16GB(Crucial sells for $59 USD). Not sure if that's interesting to you at 4x the price, or lacking the ARM CPU for a 2/4 cores/threads CPU(2.1 GHz base, 4.1 GHz turbo).

They have a Ryzen 3200U model, but it has about 2 hours less battery life, no USB-C port, and only 802.11ac, both DIMMS are upgradeable though for 32GB total, and it was selling for $325 iirc. The Ryzen GPU is said to be 20% better in performance than the Intel 620 UHD iGPU, while Intels CPU(10110U) was up to 34% faster on some benches I think(no idea about mitigations status). Battery was important for me so I went with the newer Intel model, 802.11ax is a nice bonus.

Comment

It'd be really interesting to see this graphed against the Raspberry PI 4B 2, and 4GB.

Comment

I’m still looking for a decent ARM based laptop and not finding such HSS me running a Ryzen based machine. In this case an HP ENVY. Great processor but can’t recommend because of HP and the lack of build quality. That and the battery not surviving very long.

this brings up possibly my biggest complaint about any laptop these days, that is the batteries. If I’m going to buy a low end, barely supported laptop, the laptop ought to use easily sourced batteries that are of a standard format. Yeah I know this isn’t a spec people get excited about but who here wants to spends $100 for a battery for a $200 laptop every years?

in any event hazard to vent there. As much as I want to see a cheap ARM based laptop that is worth the time I don’t want to have to throw it out in a year for lack of a battery replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by mikef5410 View Post
                It'd be really interesting to see this graphed against the Raspberry PI 4B 2, and 4GB.
                The rpis have really slow cryptography;

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                I’m still looking for a decent ARM based laptop ...
                AFAIK Lenovo's Yoga C630 is th.e only 8GB RAM ARM laptop.

I wish Pine had made their laptops modular so any SBC could be plugged in...
                Last edited by elatllat; 01 January 2020, 02:44 PM.

Comment

My kid still uses a 5 year old Samsung ARM Chromebook 3, with a dual core Exynos SoC @1.7 GHz, 2GiB RAM and 16GiB storage.

I run in it Archlinux with LXQT, and it runs reasonably good for a kid (web browsing, 720p YouTube, Libreoffice, etc.).

Not a machine appropriate for building an Android distro, but for light usage it can be fine.

Comment

If you want higher performance, there is the PineBook Pro, which has a faster SoC(RK3399, 2 A72 cores in addition to the 4 A53 ones), 4GB RAM, and up to 128GB of storage.

That's pretty good, about equal in performance to the Raspberry Pi 4(which has 4x A73 cores, and 4GB of RAM). Would work nice for light browsing, 720P YouTube, Office, etc...
                    I've played Minetest(an open source Minecraft alternative) at 30-50fps on an Intel C2D machine with similar performance. So gaming shouldn't be an issue.

The Intel machine was a T6600, GMA 3100 GPU, and it had 4GB of DDR2 800MHz RAM. So the PineBook Pro might actually be faster.

Who knows, maybe Rockchip will release the rumored RK3588 chip with 4x A76 cores and 4x A55 cores at 2.8GHz.
                    That, coupled with 6 or 8GB of RAM, and 256GB of storage, would make a viable office laptop for most people.

As far as ARM machines in general, if someone puts out a Snapdragon 8CX laptop with a 15.6" screen, 16GB of RAM, and 1 or 2 TB SSD it would be an instabuy for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X