Bonsai Is A New Effort For GNOME-Focused Multi-Device Cloud/Synchronization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonsai Is A New Effort For GNOME-Focused Multi-Device Cloud/Synchronization

Phoronix: Bonsai Is A New Effort For GNOME-Focused Multi-Device Cloud/Synchronization

Christian Hergert of Red Hat who is known for his work on the GNOME Builder IDE has recently been hacking on a new project called Bonsai that is designed as a GNOME-focused multi-device synchronization service akin to a personal cloud...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So this is basically a syncronization client that allows applications that target its specific API to kind of share the same profiles or something while running at the same time. Nice idea but I have some doubts that anything else that isn't developed by GNOME (i.e. actual applications with enough functionality) is ever going to support that.

Comment

What's wrong with the existing sync software?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
        Nothing!

Problem is, that GNOME people have the NIH Syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
          starshipeleven The readme says
          I know how to read, you tool.

I'm saying that this will work to its full extent only for GNOME-project applications, and not for all applications running in a GNOME desktop.

This is not obvious from the blog post, and of course you didn't understand it either.

This limits a lot the usefulness of this system as GNOME default applications are either garbage or very simple. I don't see Firefox for example implementing support for a Linux DE's specific APIs.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
            This seems to be more than just a simple sync app, it relies on the applications using GNOME's own APIs to work at the same time as other applications that share the same config/profile on other devices.

Comment

starshipeleven Please tone down your insults.
              Please stop offending everyone's intelligence.

Bonsai is targeted at GNOME but it could easily expand to GNOME-like apps like LibreOffice and Firefox.
              You have no idea of what you are talking about, you are just repeating keywords mindlessly over and over.

Bonsai relies on applications targeting specific GNOME-only API to work and this is highly unlikely to land on Firefox, Chromium and Libreoffice, and nearly impossible to land in any other application.

It's very pretentious to even think that to support some form of syncronization software you should need to have all applications that need it use a specific API, especially when 100% of other sync software don't do that (and for most usecases it's fine, for example you can sync your whole home folder between PCs and everything works already)

Comment

starshipeleven You know very well that Redhat employs key developers at Firefox and LibreOffice. So this is like pushing a button.
                Assuming these developers don't have better things to do like for example finishing the work on Wayland support for Firefox, we are looking more at something like convincing the rest of the core developers that adding an API that works only in some specific DE is a good idea and that they should stop laughing at them.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Please stop offending everyone's intelligence.

You have no idea of what you are talking about, you are just repeating keywords mindlessly over and over.

Bonsai relies on applications targeting specific GNOME-only API to work and this is highly unlikely to land on Firefox, Chromium and Libreoffice, and nearly impossible to land in any other application.

It's very pretentious to even think that to support some form of syncronization software you should need to have all applications that need it use a specific API, especially when 100% of other sync software don't do that (and for most usecases it's fine, for example you can sync your whole home folder between PCs and everything works already)
                  I can't see where it requires anything other than GTK/GDK?

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post

Nothing!

Problem is, that GNOME people have the NIH Syndrome.
                    Something's wrong with your comprehension skills. This project has significantly different goals than other sync projects. If I didn't know better, I'd think you were just trolling in between wank sessions.

Comment

Working...
                    X