Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Has More Radeon Graphics Driver Code Ready For Linux 5.6

Phoronix: AMD Has More Radeon Graphics Driver Code Ready For Linux 5.6

Time is quickly running out to get new code into DRM-Next ahead of the upcoming Linux 5.6 merge window. AMD on Thursday did send out another feature pull request with some interesting additions worth mentioning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is Raven1 refresh? Do they mean Picasso? The original Raven Ridge APUs? Or is there some other Raven chip I'm not aware of?

Comment

I would get Radeon 5500 XT but the price is still too inflated, Dell sometimes sold 5700 XT for $270 in their online store, that's as low as some 5500 XT's. Plus I cannot find a single fan 5500 XT anywhere, like this one https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1576140126, this is the exact card that has been advertised by AMD prior to the launch , so where is it? A miedum range 7nm graphics card should small and compact, yet 5500 XT is still power hungry, Nvidia can do better using 12nm because their design is better.

Comment

Originally posted by StandaSK View Post
        What is Raven1 refresh? Do they mean Picasso? The original Raven Ridge APUs? Or is there some other Raven chip I'm not aware of?
        Original raven with a newer sbios.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

Original raven with a newer sbios.
          Thanks for the answer. How can I find out if my system would benefit from this? I have a 2700U ProBook 445 G6 with latest bios if that helps anything.

Comment

Originally posted by StandaSK View Post

Thanks for the answer. How can I find out if my system would benefit from this? I have a 2700U ProBook 445 G6 with latest bios if that helps anything.
            You probably have a picasso (pci id 0x15d8). If you have the original raven (pci id 0x15dd), check if your smu firmware version is >= 0x41e2b (adev->pm.fw_version).

Comment

HDMI audio fix is awesome for those folks with AMD-based HTPC-s.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                Nvidia can do better using 12nm because their design is better.
                Nvidia has more efficient compression algorithms and seems to increase performance by 'losing' some minor details in it's image produced.

I've been using Nvidia like forever but after recent Radeon loaner actually decided to go for it and instead of RTX20xx bought Vega64. Picture quality feels better compared to GTX 1060 I was using before.

Comment

Working...
                X