Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.5-rc6 Released With Some Notable Radeon Graphics Fixes Plus Other Random Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.5-rc6 Released With Some Notable Radeon Graphics Fixes Plus Other Random Work

Phoronix: Linux 5.5-rc6 Released With Some Notable Radeon Graphics Fixes Plus Other Random Work

Linus Torvalds has just issued Linux 5.5-rc6 as the latest test release ahead of the stable Linux 5.5 kernel due out in a few weeks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally fixing APUs is a big step forward indeed, but what about instability of discrete Vega hardware? It only works fine as long as you use it for web surfing, but that's not a typical use-case people would want powerful GPU for.

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
      Finally fixing APUs is a big step forward indeed, but what about instability of discrete Vega hardware? It only works fine as long as you use it for web surfing, but that's not a typical use-case people would want powerful GPU for.
      What do you mean by fixing discrete Vega? In my experience it always was very stable.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

What do you mean by fixing discrete Vega? In my experience it always was very stable.
        It's not stable at all. Check gitlab. Recoverable (sort of, you have to restart entire X11 session) GPU hangs with OpenGL apps and rare unrecoverable hangs with Vulkan apps. Both Vega10 and Vega20 affected. No workaround known.

Comment

Lets hope someone review amd-sfh-driver and get it for Linus to make it mainline.

Comment

It's not stable at all. Check gitlab. Recoverable (sort of, you have to restart entire X11 session) GPU hangs with OpenGL apps and rare unrecoverable hangs with Vulkan apps. Both Vega10 and Vega20 affected. No workaround known.
            What works on my machine (Vega 56 GPU) is lowering the power limit by 15-25 watts. At -15 watts, the performance on The Witcher 3 (using DXVK) appears to be equivalent to what it would be without the reduction. If I enable HBAO+, though, the game will still eventually crash.

Comment

What's the bug you're facing? Crashes and resets?

Comment

I have a very strange problem with the 5.5 Kernels so far: 8 out of 10 times when I reboot or shutdown, the system clock is reset to 1.1.2017 00:00 in BIOS.
                That behaviour does not happen on Kernels 5.4.10 and earlier, and it also does not happen on Windows.

Things already done:
                - Replaced mainboard battery (as it happens only with Kernel 5.5, that obviously did not fix it - but I realized that my mainboard only resets the time and date when removing the battery)
                - checked for BIOS updates (none there: 5406 is installed and the latest version)
                - linux-firmware is also up-to date (20200107 on Manjaro)

My relevant hardware: Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming and a Ryzen 2700X, full UEFI/GPT setup.

I only noticed that behaviour because on every boot after the clock reset happening, systemd-fsck kicks in for all partitions and that displays a message during boot for my rotation harddisk and slows down booting (the trigger for the fsck is the system time being earlier than the last mount time). If it would be a SSD only system, I would not even notice the behaviour because the NTP service already synced when the GUI displays the clock. The only way to see it is by checking the BIOS clock.

Does anyone else notice that behavior or can check if their hardware clock in BIOS is reset after rebooting with a 5.5 Kernel?

Edit: If it is important: Asus uses American Megatrends BIOS'es.
                Last edited by BS86; 13 January 2020, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

What's the bug you're facing? Crashes and resets?
                  Kernel driver faults. Computer becomes unresponsive. Sometimes amdgpu manages to reset itself, but context of all graphics applications including your desktop is lost and they're effectively dead. There are multiple reports of this on Bugzilla/Gitlab.

Comment

Originally posted by Cattus_D View Post
                    What works on my machine (Vega 56 GPU) is lowering the power limit by 15-25 watts. At -15 watts, the performance on The Witcher 3 (using DXVK) appears to be equivalent to what it would be without the reduction. If I enable HBAO+, though, the game will still eventually crash.
                    Same here, a system with Vega 56 GPU and no issues besides a minor problem I do not use (not my particular use case), my system after hibernating (when the system wakes up) the GPU goes 100% fan speed and stays with a black screen.

I usually turn off that particular function since I either turn off the computer or have it on to be used thus does not count as a problem for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X