Kubuntu Focus Offers The Most Polished KDE Laptop Experience We've Seen Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubuntu Focus Offers The Most Polished KDE Laptop Experience We've Seen Yet

Phoronix: Kubuntu Focus Offers The Most Polished KDE Laptop Experience We've Seen Yet

As we mentioned back in December, a Kubuntu-powered laptop is launching with the blessing of Canonical and the Kubuntu Community Council. That laptop, the Kubuntu Focus, will begin shipping at the beginning of February while the pre-orders opened today as well as the embargo lift. We've been testing out the Kubuntu Focus the last several weeks and it's quite a polished KDE laptop experience for those wanting to enjoy KDE Plasma for a portable computing experience without having to tweak the laptop for optimal efficiency or other constraints.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do it with AMD 4XXXU/H and we'll see.

Comment

While the Kubuntu Focus isn't as thin as the current Dell XPS or others, at least it does allow for good cooling performance.
      That's better.

Comment

Not as polished as my KDE on MX19 on Asus. But still looks like a good basic no-frills rig for you Michael.

Comment

The laptop looks awesome both on photos and on paper, my only concern is the kinda short battery life, the announced about 3.5 hours. I wish that that could be bumped up to 8 hours or so.

Comment

Originally posted by pemartins View Post
            The laptop looks awesome both on photos and on paper, my only concern is the kinda short battery life, the announced about 3.5 hours. I wish that that could be bumped up to 8 hours or so.
            Good luck with that, not with those specs.

Comment

>nvidia
              >kde
              Oh boy...

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                Not as polished as my KDE on MX19 on Asus. But still looks like a good basic no-frills rig for you Michael.
                I was about to say, having used Kubuntu for over 10 years, I can safely say not only doesn't it offer the most polished KDE experiences, but it offers possibly one of the worst ones. If nothing else, it constantly pairs KDE with outdated, buggy Qt versions.
                Granted, KDE has been doing better and better lately, so Qt being a couple of versions old may not be as bad as it used to be, but the best KDE experience is still OpenSuse or some rolling distro (depending on your needs).

Comment

How polished is the boot process?

Nvidia drivers tend to break all the nice boot splash options.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
                    How polished is the boot process?

Nvidia drivers tend to break all the nice boot splash options.
                    No issues with Plymouth, including the LUKS encryption password prompt.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X