Genode OS Draws Up 2020 Plans Of USB Audio, A Kernel Written In Ada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genode OS Draws Up 2020 Plans Of USB Audio, A Kernel Written In Ada

Phoronix: Genode OS Draws Up 2020 Plans Of USB Audio, A Kernel Written In Ada

The Genode operating system framework that's been going strong for over a decade and continuing to employ a micro-kernel architecture continues to plan for an interesting future...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With a kernel written in Ada/SPARK it could be extremely safe, secure and reliable.
    Other interesting kernels include Zircon used in the Fuschia operating system by Google.
    Other interesting kernels also include seL4 by NICTA.
    The F-35 Lightning II uses the proprietary INTEGRITY-178B operating system by Green Hills Software.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      The F-35 Lightning II uses the proprietary INTEGRITY-178B operating system by Green Hills Software.
      That's not a particularly successful project, and someone calling a safety OS "integrity" reminds me of Oracle's "unbreakable" kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        That's not a particularly successful project, and someone calling a safety OS "integrity" reminds me of Oracle's "unbreakable" kernel.
        INTEGRITY-178B is also used by the F-22 Raptor. As well as the Tactical Robotics Cormorant (aka AirMule).

Comment

With a kernel written in Ada/SPARK it could be extremely safe, secure and reliable.
          Other interesting kernels include Zircon used in the Fuschia operating system by Google.
          seL4 is already supported.

But please... don't throw any google'ed things into the mix.
          They're mostly spyware ahahahah.

What i think they're really missing is a decent GUI... something similar to LXQt would be awesome... but it's apparently still years away...

Comment

INTEGRITY-178B is also used by the F-22 Raptor. As well as the Tactical Robotics Cormorant (aka AirMule).
            That's better, although I still find the name to be too pompous.

Comment

hey Michael this is out off topic. But I wanted to know if AMD sent you a 5600xt since the launch day is today. thanks.

Comment

How about redox kernel? Not really sure how it compares to other microkernels en detail, though. The project, however, seems interesting to me, since they are close to self-hosting on bare metal [1].

[1] https://www.redox-os.org/news/focusing-on-rustc/

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

How about redox kernel? Not really sure how it compares to other microkernels en detail, though. The project, however, seems interesting to me, since they are close to self-hosting on bare metal [1].

[1] https://www.redox-os.org/news/focusing-on-rustc/
                  Yes, it is also another interesting kernel!
                  Rust have good type safety and good null handling, so it should be possible to create a system that could be more robust than one created in C.

Comment

How about a kernel written in Rust? That should be safe ... right? /sarcasm

Comment

Working...
                    X