No announcement yet.

Wine 5.0 Released With Big Improvements For Gaming, Countless Application Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 5.0 Released With Big Improvements For Gaming, Countless Application Fixes

Phoronix: Wine 5.0 Released With Big Improvements For Gaming, Countless Application Fixes

Wine 5.0 has been released as stable as the annual timed release of this software for running Windows games and applications on Linux, macOS, and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's next for Wine?
    I can imagine Vulkan 1.2 support.
    Does it have DirectX 12 support?

Comment

I want to see to some gaming charts to see how the FPS/performance of some games are from Wine 5.0 to 4.0 now.... lol that probably isnt practical but I want it.

Comment

The day I can run Photoshop 21.0.2 or any future recent versions on Wine without issues is the day I will say: "Wow Wine has come a long way in improvement."

Comment

I'd like to see Wayland support to avoid the XWayland performance penalty.

Comment

Wine made huge improvements this year! And since Proton and Steam Play it is nice to use.

I wish that at least for windows without a title bar Wayland support would be provided.

Comment

Windows Anti-cheat support would be a killer feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Nout View Post
                There is no such thing as an XWayland performance penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by Nout View Post
                  It'll never happen. Never ever. Wayland is broken by design and can't handle the Windows GUI model.

Comment

Originally posted by the_scx View Post
                    It'll never happen. Never ever. Wayland is broken by design and can't handle the Windows GUI model.
                    https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42284#c1
                    It's true that it is by design. It's just not broken - it's a modern design. Similarly how Vulkan did not have transform feedback for a long time and only added it as a optional extension (and it remains to be seen if that was a wise decission). Compatibility to the stone age, with bad design decisions from decades ago, just so some proprietary apps can still run unchanged/unfixed, is not always a good idea.
                    Last edited by treba; 21 January 2020, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X