AMD vs. Intel Contributions To The Linux Kernel Over The Past Decade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD vs. Intel Contributions To The Linux Kernel Over The Past Decade

Phoronix: AMD vs. Intel Contributions To The Linux Kernel Over The Past Decade

Driven by curiosity sake, here is a look at how the total number of AMD and Intel developers contributed to the upstream Linux kernel during the 2010s as well as the total number of commits each year from the respective hardware vendors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about lines changes statistics

Most active 5.4 employers
    By changesets
    Intel 1714 12.2%
    Red Hat 1048 7.4%
    (Unknown) 931 6.6%
    AMD 859 6.1%

By lines changed
    AMD 229309 25.3%
    Intel 75357 8.3%
    Linaro 66064 7.3%
    (Consultant) 51674 5.7%
    Red Hat 39670 4.4%

AMD´s commits are bigger then Intel´s

6.1% of commits but 25.3% of lines changed for AMD
    but 12.2% of commits but 8.3% of lines changed for Intel

Comment

This is good, but AMD with its success on both ends, the CPUs and GPUs, they need to hire more developers to improve the kernel's performance on their products.
      Also, bring the damn control panel to Linux or make SR-IOV work with their GPUs. I'm curios if there's a possibility in that case to control the GPU from the Windows control panel in a VM.
      I want to hear that all the money I have invested in all these last years into buying their products are put to good use for the FOSS.
      Last edited by Danny3; 23 January 2020, 10:49 AM.

Comment

With Intel being so much bigger than AMD, getting to 50% is already pretty damn impressive I think.

Comment

Maybe next time make AMD the red one in the charts Blue might be a good color for Intel

Comment

It takes $$$ to hire coders and AMD is a lot smaller than intel. The AMD code contributions align perfectly with the Zen CPU launch. Glad to see they're investing some of that Zen cash back into Linux.

Comment

Statistics can always be deceiving, of course. But what is interesting here is the trend.

AMD seems to be closing the gap. Coming from a 1/10th to a 1/2. That's quite a noticeable improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                This is good, but AMD with its success on both ends, the CPUs and GPUs, they need to hire more developers to improve the kernel's performance on their products.
                Also, bring the damn control panel to Linux or make SR-IOV work with their GPUs. I'm curios if there's a possibility in that case to control the GPU from the Windows control panel in a VM.
                I want to hear that all the money I have invested in all these last years into buying their products are put to good use for the FOSS.
                afaik amdgpu-pro does support SR-IOV
                sadly i dont think we'll see that feature on consumer hardware in the near future

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  I think this charting shows you exactly what you are asking for. As the company has turned around they have more people committing. If they can deliver this year (all the promised new products), I can see a lot more effort flowing into software development for all platforms.

Frankly I just went out and bought a new AMD based system because I really believe that they are in recovery mode. It is frankly the time to further support the platform because it can only get better as software gets the attention profits allow.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    It takes $$$ to hire coders and AMD is a lot smaller than intel. The AMD code contributions align perfectly with the Zen CPU launch. Glad to see they're investing some of that Zen cash back into Linux.
                    It surprises me that people don't see this. I'm not going to say that their allocation of employees is perfect but cash does mean new programmers and frankly those programmers take time to get up to speed. If AMD maintains its advantages into 2021 I suspect we will see a massive increase in driver and tools quality.

Comment

Working...
                    X