Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubuntu Focus KDE Laptop Launches New $1,795 USD Base Model

Phoronix: Kubuntu Focus KDE Laptop Launches New $1,795 USD Base Model

Formally announced earlier this month was Kubuntu Focus as the most polished KDE laptop we've ever tested. Besides offering a great KDE desktop experience, the Kubuntu Focus offers high-end specs while now there is a slightly cheaper base model introduced...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

thats way too expensive. why don't they aim for some simpler laptops.
    what's wrong with them trying a simple 400-500$ laptop? are they so greedy?
    i don't find the hardware of this kubuntu laptop to be so spectacular for that huge price

Comment

Every time a product is launched, anything from cars, computers or even clothes, you can bet money that someone will comment saying "If it had 'X' for 'Y' price I would buy it/ it would sell a lot more".

No, it will not. Because different people had different needs. Just because said product doesn't fill your needs and/or budget, it doesn't mean it is a flawed product, it just mean it is not for you.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        it just mean it is not for you.
        I partially agree, but there are obvious cases when said product is not for me and not for the majority of the alleged target. In this case, for example:
        1. 1795 USD? Not for me, nor for the most of KDE users, since most KDE users are not big corporate users and have to pay the bill themselves
        2. NVidia? Definitely not for me and probabily not for most KDE users, for obvious reasons
        3. Gamers keyboard (WASD keys)? Not for me (software developer) nor for most KDE users (likely not gamers, at least not with KDE and not while using a 1795$ laptop)
        That said, sure, there are other features I would like to have (e.g. trackpoint), but that's just me.

Comment

Why release a 500$ shitbook? This is clearly meant for linux enthusiasts and developers. The price is a bit steep but hey, at least you get KDE and everyting works out of the box plus a customized superkey. If I was in the market for a dev machine right now this would be among the candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
            thats way too expensive. why don't they aim for some simpler laptops.
            what's wrong with them trying a simple 400-500$ laptop? are they so greedy?
            i don't find the hardware of this kubuntu laptop to be so spectacular for that huge price
            $400-500 laptop with this spec? please find me one! And just because you don't find it, doesn't mean it's false, they actually wrote about it in the page itself! You can do find it, you can do it!

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
            I partially agree, but there are obvious cases when said product is not for me and not for the majority of the alleged target. In this case, for example:
            1. 1795 USD? Not for me, nor for the most of KDE users, since most KDE users are not big corporate users and have to pay the bill themselves
            2. NVidia? Definitely not for me and probabily not for most KDE users, for obvious reasons
            3. Gamers keyboard (WASD keys)? Not for me (software developer) nor for most KDE users (likely not gamers, at least not with KDE and not while using a 1795$ laptop)
            That said, sure, there are other features I would like to have (e.g. trackpoint), but that's just me.
            Well, again, they actually provided a hefty amount of information on main page! Like NVIDIA using less battery and the main point of their effort is making everything working perfectly with that hardware. Luxury a usual distro doesn't have.

This laptop is not for the people that will actually never buy it, like people that want to spend $500 on a laptop and then put arch linux and be able to customize everything (like me). Those will never buy any preconfigured laptop nor care about that.
            It's for all linux like guys who jumped the boat to MacOS because it just works, looks nice and they can actually brag about it. Yes, saying you paid 2k for a laptop is a luxury thing, and people love doing that and there is nothing wrong with it. I on the other hand still don't have a working fingerprint sensor (and I also say I don't want one) but I'm happy I've setup "everything" like I wanted.

I hope to see more and more of these products and all the best to them. Linux community only wins from more users and companies trying to do business with it. Honestly, imho, without Canoncial and the like we would still not have Steam and many similar very popular software (which still primarily supports only Ubuntu) or all the improvements done in the whole Linux stack. You don't get popularity by having to write 'mount' yourself.

Comment

This is a big, bulky and ugly laptop with a poor build quality. For this kind of money you can get a Dell XPS or any other top-of-the-line ultrabook.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
                Why release a 500$ shitbook? This is clearly meant for linux enthusiasts and developers. The price is a bit steep but hey, at least you get KDE and everyting works out of the box plus a customized superkey. If I was in the market for a dev machine right now this would be among the candidates.
                KDE and a customized superkey? All for $2000.
                Last edited by skeevy420; 26 January 2020, 07:31 PM.

Comment

It looks like current gen Clevo gaming laptop with few customization. At $1800 they will be very likely undercut by upcoming Ryzen models and existing gaming laptops. Locally such Clevo runs for around $1300+ where local prices are higher than the US ones.

And when AMD unveiled their mobile CPUs developers were asking if there will be a laptop with the H-series CPU but without dGPU (or at max a small/cheap one) to have a nice development machine. Zephyrus G14 and G15 will already cover development/gaming requirements.

Comment

I dont get it. Why do they go for a Nvidia card. Wasnt the goal of KDE to go foll Wayland now?

Comment

Working...
                    X