Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.6 "HWMON" Changes Sent In With Big AMD Improvements

Phoronix: Linux 5.6 "HWMON" Changes Sent In With Big AMD Improvements

Following the Linux 5.5 kernel release one of the first pull requests sent in is for the hardware monitoring "HWMON" subsystem updates. Dominating the HWMON interest this cycle is a long overdue SATA temperature monitoring driver and vastly improving the k10temp driver for AMD Zen desktop and server CPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

are we finally done with this minor AMD k10temp few-lines news already? ;-)

Comment

Intel usually lands all stuff up front, long before they release new hardware.
      AMD should do the same, so we won't have to mess with kernel command switches and stuff.

Comment

I guess SATA is pretty dead. Consumers are moving over to M.2 and NVM Express while enterprise is going ahead with SAS.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I guess SATA is pretty dead. Consumers are moving over to M.2 and NVM Express while enterprise is going ahead with SAS.
          But M.2 can transport both SATA and PCIe

Comment

For secondary storage I’d have to say it is dead but don’t forget things like optical drives that still use SATA. Of course for my new desktop build I made a point to find a board with 3 M.2 slots and might have went with even more if such a board existed. M.2 is the future of storage.

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post

But M.2 can transport both SATA and PCIe
              At best a transitional feature, there is no rotating media in this format for one. Further there is no plan I’ve seen to evolve SATA into a high speed interface. Then you have to consider SARA just adds another layer of hardware. Controllers built on PCI Express eliminate that layer so you have direct communications from the SSD electronics to PCI-Express.

in a nut shell people will not be looking at SATA on M.2 seriously. We are already past the transition period where it might have made sense to buy such products. Frankly I’m not sure why SATA was ever offered on this interface, it only took a couple of years for PCI Express to dominate.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                At best a transitional feature, there is no rotating media in this format for one.
                SATA is a protocol, yo.

Then you have to consider SARA just adds another layer of hardware. Controllers built on PCI Express eliminate that layer so you have direct communications from the SSD electronics to PCI-Express.
                This is bullshit, all SATA SSDs have the controller support SATA protocol natively just like NVME SSD controllers support NVMe protocol over PCIe natively. There is no "another layer of hardware".

Frankly I’m not sure why SATA was ever offered on this interface, it only took a couple of years for PCI Express to dominate.
                Significantly cheaper as the controllers are EXACTLY the ones used on 2.5 Sata SSD, and will stay for a long while for embedded and such usecases where most don't feel like wasting ultra-high-speed interfaces for storage.
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 27 January 2020, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                  For secondary storage I’d have to say it is dead but don’t forget things like optical drives that still use SATA.
                  Why the fuck you are always so wrong on everyhting?

For "secondary storage" (aka not OS drives and storage appliances like NAS), Sata is still very much alive. Optical drives are very much niche at this point and even if you still want to use them, they will be fine on USB too, while a NAS with a ton of USB hard drives is dumb.

Comment

Do you have SAS drives in your NAS? Also many enterprise cloud providers like Backblaze are not using SAS but Sata as they need to maximize capacity-per-dollar metric.

Comment

Working...
                    X