Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Makes Public Two More Data Leakage Disclosures

Phoronix: Intel Makes Public Two More Data Leakage Disclosures

Intel last night made public two more data leakage disclosures, which tie back to Zombieload and November's TAA issue...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

each day we stray further from the lord's light...

Comment

Oh, please give me a system with a RISC-V processor!

The x86 architecture, or at least the Core architecture or at least the Skylake architecture is like Swiss cheese, its full of holes.

Comment

What ever happened to Intel lately? They realized static analyzers exist or something? Quite ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
          What ever happened to Intel lately? They realized static analyzers exist or something? Quite ridiculous.
          Static analyzers are for code, these are hardware issues

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
            It's not lately, these are the consequences of 10 years old projects/architectures and all that followed has been based on their predecessors.

Comment

Originally posted by Buntolo View Post
              It's not lately, these are the consequences of 10 years old projects/architectures and all that followed has been based on their predecessors.
              You mean 10 years of telling their QA engineers to get out of the way because zomg performance!111!!!

Comment

Can anyone give a decent answer to this:

How fucked are pre-Core Intel CPUs? I have Westmeres.
                Last edited by skeevy420; 28 January 2020, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  Can anyone give a decent answer to this:

How fucked are pre-Core Intel CPUs? I have Westmeres.
                  Some vulnerabilities go all the way back to Core2. I don't think Westmere has as many vulnerabilities as, (for example) Haswell, but if the CPUs are patched and still delivering sufficient performance, I'm not sure how much any of that matters.

At this point, I've lost track of how many vulnerabilities there are, which CPUs are affected, and how much of a performance deficit their mitigations have. I'd like to see a full comprehensive chart showing each vulnerability and each CPU generation that's affected. I've seen charts, but they were kinda vague.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Oh, please give me a system with a RISC-V processor!

The x86 architecture, or at least the Core architecture or at least the Skylake architecture is like Swiss cheese, its full of holes.

That has nothing to do with x86 every modern architecture has a branch predictor or speculative execution. Thats the reason some ARM processors were also affected.

Comment

Working...
                    X