DXVK 1.5.3 Released - Helps Games Like Skyrim + Mafia II, Direct3D 9 Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXVK 1.5.3 Released - Helps Games Like Skyrim + Mafia II, Direct3D 9 Fixes

Phoronix: DXVK 1.5.3 Released - Helps Games Like Skyrim + Mafia II, Direct3D 9 Fixes

Succeeding last week's DXVK 1.5.2 is now a version 1.5.3 release with various fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In my case warriors orochi z (warriors orochi 2 still works)

Comment

Kinda expecting Proton 5.0 to drop any day now. (wine5.0) or is wine still on RC6?

Comment

Are we talking Skyrim or the superior in every performance respect Skyrim Special Edition?

Comment

Originally posted by mulenmar View Post
          Are we talking Skyrim or the superior in every performance respect Skyrim Special Edition?
          I still use regular Skyrim because more mods with that version plus Special Edition is only superior if you don't mod the original.

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
            In my case warriors orochi z (warriors orochi 2 still works)

nostalgia

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post

I still use regular Skyrim because more mods with that version plus Special Edition is only superior if you don't mod the original.
              Like I said, superior in performance. Like literally every other Bugthesda game, the stock content does need heavy modding to make it stand up against its peers on any ground besides open world size/detail and amount of equipment options.

Basic Skyrim was compiled without optimizations, in the very executable. It even used the ancient x87 math functions instead of much-faster SSE alternatives. (Yes I know there's a hack for most usages.) It was also 32-bit only, and as such required hacks to handle more than 4GB as HD texture mods require, and had fewer registers to work with when it matters. Special Edition is 64-bit and has the optimizations enabled.

Even with the various performance-fixing mods available around 2015 or so (wheso was playing the original), the Special Edition blew it out of the water when the new graphical effects were turned down to roughly match the original, when I tested in that Dwemet town with the horrible FPS. I'm talking differences of 12FPS (original) vs 31 (Special Edition) on hardware where the rest of the game ran around 50-60FPS.

I do wish the Skyrim Script Extender would be updated to work properly with the Special Edition, already, so we can have the best of all Nirns... but I would also accept the eventual extension of OpenMW to support the Skyrim content. I can wait the fifteen years.

Edit: Huh, apparently SKSE now works with Special Edition. Excuse me, I have dragons to nuke via weapons selected via glorious, glorious SkyUI, with the unofficial bugfix patches installed... and Immersive Sounds, if my laptop can manage it.
              Last edited by mulenmar; 05 February 2020, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X