Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve's ACO Helps Put New Life Into Radeon GCN 1.0 GPUs With ~9% Better Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve's ACO Helps Put New Life Into Radeon GCN 1.0 GPUs With ~9% Better Linux Gaming Performance

Phoronix: Valve's ACO Helps Put New Life Into Radeon GCN 1.0 GPUs With ~9% Better Linux Gaming Performance

Among many other Valve ACO back-end improvements for Mesa 20.0, one of the notable additions is this AMDGPU LLVM alternative now working for Radeon "Southern Islands" / GCN 1.0 graphics cards. With this, these original AMD GCN graphics cards may have some extra life out of Linux gaming boxes thanks to slightly higher performance some eight years after these graphics cards first launched in the Radeon HD 7000 series.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

been using ACO on my 2400G with good results so far, IMO the biggest change is how it reduces stutter in DXVK games
    Last edited by davidbepo; 30 January 2020, 06:34 PM.

Comment

I appreciate these devs taking the time to support GCN 1.0 hardware that is still in use. It seems a Mutiny was not required to bring this Bounty to Pitcairn after all.
      Last edited by Teggs; 31 January 2020, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Love it. Linux is great for getting more life out of older hardware. Optimizations for stuff a few generations old is always welcome.

Comment

Now enable fsync and see the result

Comment

Wow, good job to the folks at Valve. The spread between the longest and shortest frame is less than half a percent.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
              Now enable fsync and see the result
              What does fsync have to do with anything? You mean vsync?

Comment

Originally posted by xinorom View Post

What does fsync have to do with anything? You mean vsync?
                Today we are releasing the first build of Proton 4.11, based on Wine 4.11. Among the usual variety of functional fixes, as well as a new Vulkan-based D3D9 implementation, it also includes a significant amount of work on reducing CPU overhead for multithreaded games. We observed the following performance gains when forcing a CPU-bound scenario on a high-end machine by reducing graphics details to a minimum: We expect such gains to be reproducible on more realisti

Comment

Hmm, that doesn't seem to be the same thing as the existing use of the name "fsync". I bet I'm not the only one confused by that.
                  Last edited by xinorom; 30 January 2020, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Great stuff, I wonder how it is for GCN 1.1 GPUs

Comment

Working...
                    X