Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi Foundation Gets Back To Working On A Vulkan Driver - New Effort By Igalia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi Foundation Gets Back To Working On A Vulkan Driver - New Effort By Igalia

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi Foundation Gets Back To Working On A Vulkan Driver - New Effort By Igalia

With the V3D Gallium3D driver hitting OpenGL ES 3.1 compliance, the Raspberry Pi Foundation and their partners have turned to focusing on getting their Vulkan driver off the ground for Raspberry Pi 4 and future SBCs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess they didn't want the other driver to get the first round of press?

Comment

A thousand drivers for ARM SBCs, yet no one is feature complete. Wasn't Vulkan going to make drivers a lot easier because it's less complex and low level?

Maybe Raspberry 8 will support latest graphics APIs completely. Maybe it will have Full Vulkan support, but Vulkan Next will be released based on a new computing API known as nextAPI and developed by Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        A thousand drivers for ARM SBCs, yet no one is feature complete. Wasn't Vulkan going to make drivers a lot easier because it's less complex and low level?
        If you see the rate at which drivers like radv have progressed it is clear that it does make writing drivers easier than writing an OpenGL driver. However, this doesn't mean that a single person can write one in an afternoon. As far as I know the amount of man hours spent writing Vulkan drivers for ARM SBCs isn't that high, so it isn't surprising that none is feature complete.

Comment

Originally posted by kusma View Post
          I guess they didn't want the other driver to get the first round of press?
          That's funny. Competition is good, eh?

Comment

Well, they can display a triangle, now if only they could display 2 triangles, adequately positioned, they could almost display a rectangle. We are very close my friends, to having a wonderful Vulkan driver. Life is good

Comment

A Vulkan driver on the Raspberry Pi makes me unreasonably more excited for getting a Raspberry Pi one day.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post

That's funny. Competition is good, eh?
                Teamwork is better.

Comment

Originally posted by Rccero View Post

Teamwork is better.
                  Teamwork, though desirable, is not always better because senior member of any "team" will inevitably capture the direction of the project and snuff out potentially better ideas that challenge their own. That's one of the key reasons why open source projects are forkable.
                  Last edited by vegabook; 31 January 2020, 01:09 PM.

Comment

RaspberryPi is loosing track..

The amount of blobs is just like crazy,
                    In a moment were everybody is going mainline, and open, raspberryPí continues maintaining they blobs..
                    With their bootcode.bin,start.elf,fixup......armstubs,... madness.

the only thing that is ok is their mesa Gallium3D driver..

Comment

Working...
                    X