Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Mint Debian 4 Coming - Rebased Against Debian 10, Adds "Boot With NVIDIA" Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint Debian 4 Coming - Rebased Against Debian 10, Adds "Boot With NVIDIA" Option

Phoronix: Linux Mint Debian 4 Coming - Rebased Against Debian 10, Adds "Boot With NVIDIA" Option

In addition to Linux Mint 20 coming this year that will be based off Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, the Linux Mint crew is preparing LMDE 4 as their re-base of the Debian based variant...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've always had a much better experience with plain Debian than with LMDE.

Probably too many half-assed Ubuntu tricks under the hood.

Comment

Considering all the gpu/wifi debian posts on support forums, this should be very helpful if done right. Including non-free firmware for intel/atheros wouldn't hurt either.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        Probably too many half-assed Ubuntu tricks under the hood.
        Yeah, God forbid downstream/derivative distros apply their own patches. It's almost like they believe in free software.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Yeah, God forbid downstream/derivative distros apply their own patches. It's almost like they believe in free software.
          I strongly believe in Mint's right to make Debian worse by applying crappy Ubuntu patches. That's the beauty of free software. We (as in the vast free software community) should not be so focused on performance that we overlook the idea of experimenting and possibly making things worse, in order to learn from our mistakes.

Also, I will probably try it out, and if it is better than plain Debian I'll come back here and say so.

Comment

I strongly believe in Mint's right to make Debian worse by applying crappy Ubuntu patches.
            What are these "Ubuntu patches" you refer to on LMDE? Mint is using its own desktop and tools on top of a Debian base.

Comment

What are these "Ubuntu patches" you refer to on LMDE? Mint is using its own desktop and tools on top of a Debian base.
              So the Ubuntu-derived distro uses Ubuntu-specific apps and tools and patches, and applies them to Debian, which does not work as well as plain Debian.

Comment

So the Ubuntu-derived distro uses Ubuntu-specific apps and tools and patches, and applies them to Debian, which does not work as well as plain Debian.
                But LMDE isn't derived from Ubuntu. It uses the Debian package base and has its own repositories for its own software. And Cinnamon (and other Mint tools) aren't Ubuntu-specific. It just seems like you're using the phrase "Ubuntu patch" to refer to any change/patch/addition Mint made to Debian, even if it has nothing to do with Ubuntu.

Comment

But LMDE isn't derived from Ubuntu. It uses the Debian package base and has its own repositories for its own software. And Cinnamon (and other Mint tools) aren't Ubuntu-specific. It just seems like you're using the phrase "Ubuntu patch" to refer to any change/patch/addition Mint made to Debian, even if it has nothing to do with Ubuntu.
                  Seems like you are splitting hairs, and doing it incorrectly and dishonestly at that. Everything Mint does with its main distro is targeted at a Ubuntu base, including the Cinnamon desktop. When those pieces are applied to Debian, it does not work as well as plain Debian in my experience. Thus, my shorthand statement - "Probably too many half-assed Ubuntu tricks under the hood."

Comment

Seems like you are splitting hairs "Probably too many half-assed Ubuntu tricks under the hood."
                    Because it sounds like you are slandering Ubuntu/Canonical when they have nothing to do with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X