Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance On A $199 AMD Ryzen Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance On A $199 AMD Ryzen Laptop

Phoronix: Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance On A $199 AMD Ryzen Laptop

When carrying out our Windows vs. Linux benchmarks we normally are doing so on interesting high-end hardware but for today's benchmarking is a look at how a $199 USD laptop powered by an AMD Ryzen 3 3200U processor compares between Windows 10 as it's shipped on the laptop against the forthcoming Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Linux distribution.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by [URL="https://www.phoronix.com/forums/member/923-phoronix
    phoronix[/URL]"]One of the downsides to this Motile M141-SL laptop is that the 4GB of RAM is a single DIMM. I'll run some additional tests after upgrading to two DDR4-2400 (the max speed supported by the Ryzen 3 3200U) DIMMs that should allow this Picasso APU much better performance.
    Unfortunately there is only one SO-DIMM slot limiting the 3200U to single channel bandwidth. There is however two M.2 slots.

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      though I woudln't recommend much in the way of video encoding from such a low-end device.
      Possibly typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      As of publishing, the Motline M141 is still being sold
      Last edited by tildearrow; 31 January 2020, 03:55 PM.

Comment

This is a very interesting laptop!

No need to do a full in depth analysis, but what was the battery life you observed? Curious what the rough estimate is.

Comment

Is it possible to run benchmarks with ACO on this laptop? I want to see if we can reach Windows levels of performance with it.

Windows driver has more overhead but a "resilient" curve (less speed degradation as load increases).
          In the meanwhile Linux has a "volatile" curve (very fast for small loads but can't take larger ones).
          Last edited by tildearrow; 31 January 2020, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lindgrenj6 View Post
            This is a very interesting laptop!

No need to do a full in depth analysis, but what was the battery life you observed? Curious what the rough estimate is.
            7 hours estimated idle (haven't verified that), but under load I get easy 2~3 it seems.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Is it possible to run benchmarks with ACO oN this laptop? I want to see if we can reach Windows levels of performance with it.
              Yeah will try when done running other benchmarks.
              Last edited by tildearrow; 31 January 2020, 05:54 PM.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by biffzinker View Post

Unfortunately there is only one SO-DIMM slot limiting the 3200U to single channel bandwidth. There is however two M.2 slots.
                I'm wondering how much single channel limits here. This is only Vega 3 after all (and for the cpu part memory bandwidth is usually no big deal neither). Although it does mean you have to toss out the original memory stick when upgrading the memory of course.
                In any case, being able to upgrade the memory at all, as well as having a second m.2 (nvme only?) slot is more than you can say about some other much more expensive notebooks - plus the FHD panel seems to be IPS too! Sounds really good to me for this price point.

Comment

I purchased the M142 version of this laptop a few weeks ago for $329 (missed the $299 sale). This version comes with a Ryzen 5 3500U (4 core 8 thread 2.1Ghz Base 3.7Ghz boost), Vega 8 iGPU, 8GB DDR 2400 RAM, 256Gb MSATA SSD, Intel 3168AC wifi/bt adapter.

The single channel only RAM slot is unfortunate, but otherwise I've been pretty happy with the machine. All aluminum build quality is excellent for the money. Keyboard is decent, trackpad is nice, 1080p screen is pretty good. Using Arch Linux with TLP installed, turning off boost with Gnome CPUFreq extension, I get 4-6 hours of battery life depending on workload (mix of web browsing, video playback, with wifi & bluetooth enabled, 60% screen brightness).

Comment

nice gear for 199$. Now Imagine there would be a win free option 150$-170$?

Comment

Working...
                    X