vkBasalt 0.3 Vulkan Layer Adds Support For Using Reshade Fx Shaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vkBasalt 0.3 Vulkan Layer Adds Support For Using Reshade Fx Shaders

Phoronix: vkBasalt 0.3 Vulkan Layer Adds Support For Using Reshade Fx Shaders

The vkBasalt open-source project began as just providing Contrast Adaptive Sharpening support for Linux/Vulkan games similar to Radeon Image Sharpening. This Vulkan post-processing layer then added an option for applying FXAA anti-aliasing and then SMAA and other effects. Now vkBasalt 0.3 is out today with even more post-processing features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This guy is benchmarking it and also showing the visual differences in comparison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSlaGkbTRi8

Comment

Fantastic news.

Comment

maybe the most underrated project out right now. Linux users have a comparable project to AMD's Radeon Image Sharpening (RIS) and more. Thanks again to the developer, DadSchoorse. Excited to try out the reshade stuff.

I've been using effects = smaa:cas with great success. Especially for D9VK on old games.

Comment

I love reshade, that's such a great feature! Thank you devs.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
            maybe the most underrated project out right now. Linux users have a comparable project to AMD's Radeon Image Sharpening (RIS) and more. Thanks again to the developer, DadSchoorse. Excited to try out the reshade stuff.

I've been using effects = smaa:cas with great success. Especially for D9VK on old games.
            Yes visuals are stunning. If you look at the GTA scenes (flightlessmangos youtube clip) it looks like a new set of textures.

How is the performance on your system?

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Yes visuals are stunning. If you look at the GTA scenes (flightlessmangos youtube clip) it looks like a new set of textures.

How is the performance on your system?
              It really does feel like a new set of textures on some games. I sometimes play COD 4: Modern Warfare (2007 version) through Steam and D9VK, and it's just incredible how far we've come. I can say that because I've been practically beta-testing Steam Play since it came out, and to the point it's at now, it really blows my mind. On a 144hz screen, it's _buttery_ smooth now with D9VK and all the latest improvements from everything. Then you add vkBasalt, and it feels like a new set of textures.

Back to your question, on these older titles, practically zero hit. Still see 143.9 fps on the top left corner. Though I haven't ran any benchmarks, so just going from feel and the FPS mark. For me, effects = smaa:cas with everything else stock has been working well. I haven't gone into the heavy tinkering with trying out values of 0.4 to 1.0 for CAS, but may soon along with the reshade shaders.

Btw, I thought flightlessmango was just a user who would contribute benchmarks and videos, but it's actually more:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...rated_project/

In case you want to run your own benchmarks for vkBasalt. Anyways, to finish up, I've been using ENABLE_VKBASALT=1 on a per-game basis which I recommend. Originally I just turned it on system-wide with that env variable and found that to be sub-optimal. vkBasalt in my opinion should be turned on and tweaked per-game, just like how you set other graphic settings.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

It really does feel like a new set of textures on some games. I sometimes play COD 4: Modern Warfare (2007 version) through Steam and D9VK, and it's just incredible how far we've come. I can say that because I've been practically beta-testing Steam Play since it came out, and to the point it's at now, it really blows my mind. On a 144hz screen, it's _buttery_ smooth now with D9VK and all the latest improvements from everything. Then you add vkBasalt, and it feels like a new set of textures.

Back to your question, on these older titles, practically zero hit. Still see 143.9 fps on the top left corner. Though I haven't ran any benchmarks, so just going from feel and the FPS mark. For me, effects = smaa:cas with everything else stock has been working well. I haven't gone into the heavy tinkering with trying out values of 0.4 to 1.0 for CAS, but may soon along with the reshade shaders.

Btw, I thought flightlessmango was just a user who would contribute benchmarks and videos, but it's actually more:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...rated_project/

In case you want to run your own benchmarks for vkBasalt. Anyways, to finish up, I've been using ENABLE_VKBASALT=1 on a per-game basis which I recommend. Originally I just turned it on system-wide with that env variable and found that to be sub-optimal. vkBasalt in my opinion should be turned on and tweaked per-game, just like how you set other graphic settings.
                Thank you for giving me this detailed informations. So it seems not to be just a lucky "golden" config which has been used by flightless mango. It really has very low impact on performance. ...and thx for pointing out that not only dx11 got this visual upgrade also dx9 aswell. Obviously, sure but I havent thought about it and especially old dx9 games tend to look out dated and a bit dull. In the past I have used reshade fx under windows but usually the performance penalty was way higher as with vkBasalt.

p.s.: I was not aware that flightlessmango has such cool tools - I knew about his git hub - but I thought it is just some moddified fps HUD.

Comment

Working...
                X