Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proton 5.0-1 Released As Valve's Basis For Steam Play Now On Wine 5.0, Latest DXVK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proton 5.0-1 Released As Valve's Basis For Steam Play Now On Wine 5.0, Latest DXVK

Phoronix: Proton 5.0-1 Released As Valve's Basis For Steam Play Now On Wine 5.0, Latest DXVK

Valve has just released Proton 5.0-1 as a big upgrade to their Wine downstream that powers Steam Play for running Windows games on Linux under Steam...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Out of curiosity, do we know how many patches Proton 5.0-1 is away from upstream WINE?

Comment

Tomb Raider 1 and 2 (the originals from Core Design) are now complete broken.
      Runtime Error - Abnormal Program termination.
      WIne 5.0 C++ error.

Comment

Originally posted by Pranos View Post
        WIne 5.0 C++ error.
        Assuming the regressions are limited you could force those titles to run under an older proton while keeping the new Proton your main one, this can be done by going to the properties of the specific title. I had to do it in the past when one title refused to run on 3.14-4 but ran fine on any other proton version.

Comment

Is Proton only used with Steam or can it be used as an alternative to Wine?

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
            Proton is just a distribution of Wine, if you build it, you can use it for whatever else you want.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
              My understanding is that it's an extended distro of Wine, sort of like wine-staging but with added stuff like DXVK, and that you can use it like any other non-system Wine install once you've either built it from source or induced Steam to download a pre-built copy.

Comment

I need Proton to run Destiny 2 so I can move my R9 390 back from my Windows 10 VM to my main system. It's a bummer having to move it for one game

Comment

WIne 5.0 C++ error.
                  I suppose the expectation there is for people to use specific compatibility tools beyond Proton.
                  Or rather, Proton's Python launch script in the future might be expanded to make use of those compatibility tools, like a local build of DOSBox for Tomb Raider 1.

For now, you can already use Boxtron to achieve that. Once properly installed, it will show up in your global or per-game settings. You also have to install a compatible DOSBox in your system. The one in Ubuntu's repositories, for example, is fine.
                  I've had success with this setup myself and can confirm Tomb Raider 1 works wonders. Playtime is properly recorded.

Comment

WIne 5.0 C++ error.
                    Tomb Raider 1 is a MS-DOS game. I recommend using Broxton with DOSBox staging for best results in that game.

I can confirm Tomb Raider II is broken with Proton 5.0. However, it appears to just be a Proton-only bug because the game still works in Wine Staging 5.0 and the newest Wine Staging 5.1 in Lutris w/ Windows Steam in Wine. Someone should report that to Proton's github.

Comment

Working...
                    X