Rav1e 0.3 Release Brings Speed Optimizations, Other AV1 Encode Enhancements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rav1e 0.3 Release Brings Speed Optimizations, Other AV1 Encode Enhancements

Phoronix: Rav1e 0.3 Release Brings Speed Optimizations, Other AV1 Encode Enhancements

As we've been expected, Rav1e 0.3 is now out the door for this open-source Rust-based AV1 encoder that now runs faster at higher encode levels...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have this crazy conspiracy theory that I hope will come true: every so often, the encoder will add support for daala until it eventually allows for either av1 or daala encoding.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
      I have this crazy conspiracy theory that I hope will come true: every so often, the encoder will add support for daala until it eventually allows for either av1 or daala encoding.
      Why? From what I known Daala is abandoned and proved to be an inferior codec, but its useful ideas went into AV1.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post

Why? From what I known Daala is abandoned and proved to be an inferior codec, but its useful ideas went into AV1.
        Not inferior, but it's different. The problem with AV1 and HEVC is they continue doubling complexity to half the file sizes. The difficulty of continuing down this road is literally x^2. Also there's an increased demand for low-latency codecs, something which kills the codec performance of Av1 and HEVC.

They've taken what they've learned from their success of Opus and seeing how it could apply to video, so I'm hoping to see more from them in the future.

Another codec I'd like to see in the video space is FLIF.

Edit: As to why: the developers behind rav1e are xiph.
        Last edited by profoundWHALE; 09 February 2020, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X