Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.6 Kernel Adding Support For 1st Gen Amazon Echo, Many Other Arm Additions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.6 Kernel Adding Support For 1st Gen Amazon Echo, Many Other Arm Additions

Phoronix: Linux 5.6 Kernel Adding Support For 1st Gen Amazon Echo, Many Other Arm Additions

There is a lot of new Arm SoCs and boards/platforms to be supported by the Linux 5.6 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish Samsung would add support for the Galaxy S10 and S11 an work ahead of the release of their phones with already contributing support for it, like Intel and AMD does.

Comment

It's about time we were able to turn our Echo Dots into Apache servers. What in the world took so long?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        I wish Samsung would add support for the Galaxy S10 and S11 an work ahead of the release of their phones with already contributing support for it, like Intel and AMD does.
        Samsung doesn't care about customers. They only provide like 3 years of support from product launch. When the poor buy the last year's SGS, it might only have few months of support left. For instance, good luck getting fix to the latest Bluetooth bug: https://insinuator.net/2020/02/criti...cve-2020-0022/

Comment

Another new platform worth calling out individually is the SolidRun HoneyComb LX2K support, which is aiming to be the 16-core ARM Workstation with decent performance capabilities, replaceable RAM, and PCI Express. We are supposed to be getting our hands on this notable ARM workstation board sometime.
          I've been eyeing the honeycomb with desire since it should be capable of being a reasonable workstation. One of the main things stopping me is... Well, what can you boot on it? Most of the ARM images I can find are built for a specific SBC. It looks like there's an Ubuntu server image that might boot but no Manjaro, although Arch itself should be fine. I'd really like it if solidrun had some recommendations but there's nothing on the main site.

Comment

Originally posted by CampGareth View Post

I've been eyeing the honeycomb with desire since it should be capable of being a reasonable workstation. One of the main things stopping me is... Well, what can you boot on it? Most of the ARM images I can find are built for a specific SBC. It looks like there's an Ubuntu server image that might boot but no Manjaro, although Arch itself should be fine. I'd really like it if solidrun had some recommendations but there's nothing on the main site.
            Well right now we have booted, not 100% hardware implemented, Centos 8 / 4.18 kernel, Fedora 31 / 5.4 kernel, NetBSD, Windows 10, and VMWare ESXi. Supported out of the box is USB 3.0, Sata, base CPU support. With the V2 variant of the chip shipping in coming months we will add PCIe to this list. We are working with Arm, NXP, and many of the top community members from the OS vendors to make this a reference board on how Desktop compatibility should be done.

We have some bumps in the path that we are working to iron out, like how to expose high speed networking interfaces. Hopefully these will be ironed out in the next month.

Comment

Working...
            X