Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X Run Even Faster - By Loading Up Intel's Clear Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X Run Even Faster - By Loading Up Intel's Clear Linux

Phoronix: Making The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X Run Even Faster - By Loading Up Intel's Clear Linux

One of the interesting takeaways from my pre-launch briefing with AMD on the Ryzen Threadripper 3990X was AMD actually recommending Clear Linux for use on this 64-core / 128-thread HEDT processor and the platform to which they've found the best performance. Yet, Clear Linux is an Intel open-source project. In any case, here are benchmarks of how Clear Linux performs against other Linux distributions on the Ryzen Threadripper 3990X within the System76 Thelio Major. And, holy crap, with the Threadripper 3990X on Clear Linux I managed to build the x86_64 default Linux kernel in under 20 seconds!

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Red Hat Enterprise LInux 8 but Clear Linux and

Comment

I usually use T2 Linux to run things faster - https://t2sde.org ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
        With Blender 2.81, the performance was basically the same across all the CPUs tested.
        It certainly was.

On another point, I'm waiting for the day AMD employees begin submitting patches for Clear Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
          On another point, I'm waiting for the day AMD employees begin submitting patches for Clear Linux.
          I love this idea!! Let's ping bridgman

Comment

Originally posted by Teggs View Post

It certainly was.

It certainly wasn't.

Big win for TW. - Look carefully.

Comment

> Coming most often in last place was Manjaro Linux and Fedora Workstation 31.

Hmm, I'm less inclined to jump on the Arch bandwagon now.

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post

It certainly wasn't.

Big win for TW. - Look carefully.
                It is interesting how the brain interprets input according to our expectations.

Consider again the sentence I quoted in context of the article.

Comment

Those are some of the more interesting benchmarks I have seen in a while. I have to wonder why Fedora is lagging Centos. What limits are Redhat imposed on Ferdora?

Any one read any thing about the thermal foot print/ power draw of this processor? I am wondering if companies can suddenly start halving the size of their data centers or if the power/cooling will just mean you be forced to put fewer in a rack.

Comment

I have said it before I guess I can say it again....

Just come out with a swupd bundle called "kernel-native-amd" that sets all the params and provides the modules.

FWIW: I am still having issues with Clear Linux running on a Ryzen 5 3500U.

KVM and IOMMU issues (and yes they know).

Comment

Working...
                    X