Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open-Source Nouveau Extended To Support The GeForce 16 Series With Hardware Acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Nouveau Extended To Support The GeForce 16 Series With Hardware Acceleration

Phoronix: Open-Source Nouveau Extended To Support The GeForce 16 Series With Hardware Acceleration

With the big Linux 5.6 kernel on the open-source NVIDIA "Nouveau" driver side there is finally accelerated support for the GeForce RTX 2000 "Turing" graphics cards (when paired with binary-only microcode). With that initial cut support is no GeForce 16 series Turing support, but that is now on-deck for Linux 5.7...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news!

Maybe in five more years Nvidia cards will be a first class Linux device like AMD and Intel. Until then I'm not holding my breath for it, they are so far behind at this point, the only way I will ever consider an Nvidia card again is if they provide decent open drivers.

Still, I hope for a happy 2020 with lots of Nouveau improvements!

Comment

"Nouveau" - Ironically means modern and up to date.

These guys work without proper documentation and resources and Nvidia keeps hampering them with the firmware issues

I really hope we do get something good out of Stadia/Steam Streaming/Other Streaming that these steaming firms demand open source solutions. Only money can make Nvidia deviate from their current path. I hope they lose a lot of contracts and money from this and that makes them fix things.

I also keep hoping AMD pours some money towards improving their AI/ML stack like Intel and Nvidia are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by wertigon View Post
        Great news!

Maybe in five more years Nvidia cards will be a first class Linux device like AMD and Intel. Until then I'm not holding my breath for it, they are so far behind at this point, the only way I will ever consider an Nvidia card again is if they provide decent open drivers.

Still, I hope for a happy 2020 with lots of Nouveau improvements!
        The industry standard for anything graphically intensive on Linux seems to be NVidia, with the proprietary drivers of course. I don't know if it's because AMD's (or ATI's back then) proprietary drivers were a major PITA to get working where NVidia's for the most part just worked or if it was a performance thing. It was fantastic once they get open source friendly. At the high end though, Intel can't compete in that space (yet)

Comment

Originally posted by Oddsocks View Post

The industry standard for anything graphically intensive on Linux seems to be NVidia, with the proprietary drivers of course. I don't know if it's because AMD's (or ATI's back then) proprietary drivers were a major PITA to get working where NVidia's for the most part just worked or if it was a performance thing. It was fantastic once they get open source friendly. At the high end though, Intel can't compete in that space (yet)
          The industry standard was actually OpenGL, now it's Vulkan. But yes, historically Nvidia has had quite the lead on AMD, but lately, the open AMD drivers are now on par with the proprietary Nvidia drivers for equivalent hardware (for instance, the RX 5600 XT vs the RTX 2060).

Industry is rather conservative though to move to the latest hot trends, and CUDA is not exactly helping...

Comment

Originally posted by wertigon View Post
            The industry standard was actually OpenGL, now it's Vulkan. But yes, historically Nvidia has had quite the lead on AMD, but lately, the open AMD drivers are now on par with the proprietary Nvidia drivers for equivalent hardware (for instance, the RX 5600 XT vs the RTX 2060).

Industry is rather conservative though to move to the latest hot trends, and CUDA is not exactly helping...
            As you say, Industry is rather conservative and OpenGL is still very much an Industry standard, even if Vulkan is coming on in leaps and bounds. it's good to know that the open AMD drivers are on par with the proprietary NVidia drivers.

Comment

Working...
            X