Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 20.04 + Linux 5.5: Fresh Benchmarks Of AMD EPYC Rome vs. Intel Xeon Cascade Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 20.04 + Linux 5.5: Fresh Benchmarks Of AMD EPYC Rome vs. Intel Xeon Cascade Lake

Phoronix: Ubuntu 20.04 + Linux 5.5: Fresh Benchmarks Of AMD EPYC Rome vs. Intel Xeon Cascade Lake

Here are some fresh numbers looking at the current performance of various AMD EPYC 7002 "Rome" processors up against Intel Xeon Cascade Lake processors when using an Ubuntu 20.04 LTS development snapshot and also upgrading to Linux 5.5 as the latest stable kernel. Beyond raw performance, power efficiency and performance-per-dollar for these different server CPUs are being compared as well for these sub-$5000 processors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow. Intel got destroyed in any sort of meaningful category. Performance per watt and performance per dollar. It's just insane if you're not at least looking at using AMD systems.

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post
      Wow. Intel got destroyed in any sort of meaningful category. Performance per watt and performance per dollar. It's just insane if you're not at least looking at using AMD systems.
      So brutal, this was truly a massacre. AMD wins in raw performance, value (performance per dollar), and efficiency (performance per watt). Anyone with a CPU bound workload would be a fool to choose intel at this point.

I'm honestly shocked at the performance per watt scores. Intel's 14nm process has received tweaks and optimizations for years, probably more so than any other process node in Intel's history. I thought it would have come closer to AMD's relatively new kid on the block 7 nm. But no such luck, it appears AMD and TSMC are really hitting home runs with this 7 nm process.
      Last edited by torsionbar28; 13 February 2020, 01:40 PM.

Comment

If you don't mind throwing money in the garbage can, buy Xeon.

Comment

So...
          It seems that 'amd64' arch, now means AMD cpus..

Nice to see AMD rocking, it makes a much better alternative to intel, but I expect next intel processors to come will be resilient to a lot of flaws, and then maybe intel could be competing again..

I for instance cannot go out of 4.9 Kernel on my xeon, I loose 50% or more performance in 5.4 kernel
          I which I have a Epyc one

Comment

Wow. Intel got destroyed in any sort of meaningful category. Performance per watt and performance per dolar.
            what about Performance per Watt per dolar?

Comment

What's with all the results where xeon silver beats xeon platinum?

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
                What's with all the results where xeon silver beats xeon platinum?
                Yeah, Blender result are very strange. Never mind, looked up, all of these Xeon's are 16 cores and low-frequency models, even EPYC 7302, which is lowest AMD processor in the test has massively higher clock rate than Xeon Gold while having the same core number. Even EPYC 7642 has higher clock rate thant Xeons while having trice the core number.

Comment

The only reason I even look at Intel is AVX-512. But that is a very specific use case, and to be honest AVX2 Threadripper isn't that much slower, particularly with newer GCC...

Sorry, I'm having a brain fail... when doing the performace/dollar comparisons, is it CPU cost only, or also factoring in platform cost (motherboard, maybe RAM)? I imagine for the higher-end chips it really won't make much difference, but for the lower-end ones?

Comment

Xeons are basically expensive paperweights now.

Thanks AMD.

Comment

Working...
                    X