Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP 7.4 Slated To Land In Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Phoronix: PHP 7.4 Slated To Land In Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

PHP 7.4 should be landing in the Ubuntu 20.04 archive in the next week or so...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well it has been in ondrej's ppa for months and running without problems here

Comment

Very nice! 👍
      I think PHP deserves a second look, it has definitely improved immensely and is not the same thing it was a decade ago.

In related news Ubuntu 20.04 recently upgraded from Python 3.7 to 3.8.

Comment

If its not included by default then it doesn't matter.
        I never install it from their repository since as far as I know all the programs in their repository is outdated.
        I just download and install XAMPP, which comes with everything (Apache, PHP, MariaDB, phpMyAdmin).
        The only thing that it doesn't come with and it should is the Xdebug debugger, which on Linux unfortunately we need to compile it ourselves.

If Ubuntu devs want to make web developers life easier maybe they should a another option in the installer where you can specify that you're a web developer and stuff XAMPP + git + Node.js + Kcachegrind (good to see profiling files made by Xdebug) + Meld. can be installed by default.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          If its not included by default then it doesn't matter.
          I never install it from their repository since as far as I know all the programs in their repository is outdated.
          I just download and install XAMPP, which comes with everything (Apache, PHP, MariaDB, phpMyAdmin).
          The only thing that it doesn't come with and it should is the Xdebug debugger, which on Linux unfortunately we need to compile it ourselves.

If Ubuntu devs want to make web developers life easier maybe they should a another option in the installer where you can specify that you're a web developer and stuff XAMPP + git + Node.js + Kcachegrind (good to see profiling files made by Xdebug) + Meld. can be installed by default.
          Using xampp is hurting your development as a software developer. It's simply something professional devs don't use anymore - many reasons for this including the fact that you won't be replicating your production environment with it.

Start learning how to work with docker. https://phpdocker.io/ is a great starting point.
          Last edited by royce; 14 February 2020, 07:59 AM.

Comment

We're currently serving several billion PHP requests per month with 7.4. It works well. But it's going to feel out of date as soon as 8 is released: the JIT performance looks very promising.

Comment

Working...
            X